bad carb heat design

johnr

That is a common misconception for folks who can't handle the sportiness of the SW. . . . :D

I know you added the emocon, but there is no misconception on my part. I've owned 2 SW's and flown a few beyond that. Its just that the CTLS has enough added features over the CTSW that it outweighs any misconceived sportiness the SW has over the LS. :D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am re-thinking my pattern and think I will add carb heat to all of my landings. 

1 reason is to protect on those landings at the coast where dew points can be high.

2nd reason is just to bring carb heat back into common usage so it is more likely to occur to me if I encounter icing in cruise.

I don't fly with carbs so this issue has never been a problem for me...but I do remember the Zodiak i used a few times had carbs and carb heat was part of landing cheklist.   It costs nothing to use the carb heat, unlike putting on Pitot heat which can fry the Pitot tube if you don't shut it off quickly after landing in a Cirrus Turbo.

For as much as that thing costs, it is surprising it does not have a "squat switch," which would automatically de-power the pitot heater upon main gear touchdown.

Oh, I totally agree... The plane has a notification to turn it on, but not to turn it off....it's one of the persistent 'gotchas' in operating the plane.

Data point:

A Cirrus SR22T recently went out the door for more than $920k, all in, albeit with some extended warranties.

Yea, Cirrus raised 2016 prices by $55k for the SR22T to $875k for the Platinum or Carbon package with all the goodies...it can go higher dependent on extended warranty etc.....and getting the custom Xi package.

That's nosebleed territory for a piston single, albeit a very capable piston single. Puts it out of range of all but the extremely wealthy.

Cecil, is your CT still on the market, or has it been relegated to your wife's plane?

For as much as that thing costs, it is surprising it does not have a "squat switch," which would automatically de-power the pitot heater upon main gear touchdown.

Squat switches for that system is dangerous. If it fails, it fails in one of two ways: either pitot heat doesn't come onwhen you need it because the switch doesn't make a connection, or it stays on after touchdown, and you won't know till it melts. Could use an override, but then it still requires the pilot to pay attention so it becomes redundant.

I know a couple aircraft models use a pitot pressure or squat switch to allow a "high" mode to work, so at least with low they have some sort of heat.

A complicated checking system could be used and warn the pilot of a possible failure, but then the system will get a bad rap from false positives.

That's nosebleed territory for a piston single, albeit a very capable piston single. Puts it out of range of all but the extremely wealthy.

Cecil, is your CT still on the market, or has it been relegated to your wife's plane?

Ed,  the plane is for sale but no longer on Controller.   It's with a broker now.  She flys it to keep it from drying out seals and to keep the fuel and oil from getting stale.  We have lost potential sales thanks to the Flight Design troubles.  Some don't trust that there will be a company or support for the plane.  That's a shame...it is hurting resale no doubt for all of us who want to sell our planes.

Thermostatically controlling it seems like an obvious solution.

Still an additional point of failure and it would probably be expensive as all hell once you attach the approvals.

Ed, the plane is for sale but no longer on Controller. It's with a broker now. She flys it to keep it from drying out seals and to keep the fuel and oil from getting stale. We have lost potential sales thanks to the Flight Design troubles. Some don't trust that there will be a company or support for the plane. That's a shame...it is hurting resale no doubt for all of us who want to sell our planes.

I'd buy it if you were willing to finance...

Still an additional point of failure and it would probably be expensive as all hell once you attach the approvals.

I'd buy it if you were willing to finance...

We carry paper on property sales, I don't see why we can't do the same for a plane.  You know the plane...what do you propose...my email is   gbigsangle@gmail.com if you want to start a convo on it.

Archived