Upgrades

Ed Cesnalis

Mirrorless cameras are the new craze and rightfully so!

Seems mirrorless are prone to dust on the sensor.  see the two spots I have already, the camera has a program to clean them but it didn't work.  have to get a rocket blower and or a sensor cleaning system.

post-6-0-74284600-1466811291_thumb.jpg

Giottos_AA1900_Rocket_Air_Blower_1328549

Seems mirrorless are prone to dust on the sensor.  see the two spots I have already, the camera has a program to clean them but it didn't work.  have to get a rocket blower and or a sensor cleaning system.

Always change the lens with the camera pointed down. It helps avoid that problem.

But anyways, it seems like mirrorless cameras could still use a shutter until it's turned on to help avoid this issue.

Nice thing about my Nikon is that it has a live view mode, which makes it act like a mirrorless!

Always change the lens with the camera pointed down. It helps avoid that problem.

But anyways, it seems like mirrorless cameras could still use a shutter until it's turned on to help avoid this issue.

Nice thing about my Nikon is that it has a live view mode, which makes it act like a mirrorless!

Its not like I'm changing lenses a lot, more like I'm clueless and didn't even know to prevent dust from getting on the sensor that is so exposed when the lens is off.  I have 2 spots to clean now and the camera's cleaning mode didn't get them out.  

post-6-0-29404200-1466814581_thumb.jpg

I have a Sony Alpha-5 ( basically, the mirrored version of your new alpha 6k) and it has a few annoying properties.  I'm wondering if the modern incarnation has them as well:

1.  Takes forever to turn back on ( It'll go off right when I pull it up to take that vital shot, then takes 3-10 seconds to boot back up )

2.  Makes a very loud mirror-up / shutter exploding sound with the shutter release ( making a surreptitious photo impossible )

3.  Recently took a Cub down into N. Kentucky to photograph my childhood homeland.   Down at 1,500 AGL in complicated airspace  and I grazed some "wrong" button.  Found the Camera was in some peculiar mode where it basically refused to take pictures.  With the stick between my knees, trying to work my way to a default or "home" or "where you were an hour ago" setting was impossible and I had to choose between (maybe) getting the camera back to operating while I spun in or giving up.  I gave up.

Wondering if this new "Alpha in the thousands" still has a slightly insane operating system?

I find a 210mm telephoto on the Sony Nex-5 hand-held in a J-3 wants  around 1/400 or faster.   There's still significant jitter even with the low-pass filtering supplied by my hand and arm and at 50% crop it starts to show.   Cutting power and gliding works as an occasional strategy, but most of my flying for the latest shoot was in the CVG / Lunken airspace near Cincinnati and I only had a 500-foot layer to play in.

The full-sun shots you're publishing must be 1/800th or faster, right?  I'm very curious how much the CT-airframe shakes that mount.  Hope you'll give us a report.  

The full-sun shots you're publishing must be 1/800th or faster, right?  I'm very curious how much the CT-airframe shakes that mount.  Hope you'll give us a report.  

I figure I shot less than 2 rolls of film so far and learned a lot.

Photo Below was shot at 1/80sec. f/8 23mm ISO 100

post-6-0-38875300-1467257813_thumb.jpg

below 1/160sec. f/9 55mm ISO 100

below 1/250sec. f/18 18mm ISO 100

post-6-0-93807200-1467514542_thumb.jpg

Archived