FAA ADS-B Rebate

gbigs

The FAA and Department of Transportation are expected to announce at dual press conferences on Monday that the agency will try to stimulate lagging ADS-B sales by offering owners who install systems a $500 cash rebate.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/FAA-Will-Reportedly-Offer-500-ADS-B-Rebate-226341-1.html

I'll wait for the $1000.00 rebate.

Cheers

At least wait for September.

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=85645

RANT ON:

Thinking about it. You want to encourage and hasten the installs for single engine GA. Brilliant idea this.

Announce in June a rebate to begin in September. That'll encourage owners to hurry up and wait. It doesn't take 3 months to buy equipment and schedule an install.

RANT OFF:

Posted by an owner currently upgrading to ADS-B but thinking about postponing the install date until 9/1.

IMHO, the FAA has pissed off a lot of owners by not allowing those who have installed ADS-B to apply for the rebate.  And, for those who suggest it is best to just bide ones' time to see if the FAA is going to successfully sign up those who fly in controlled  airspace by 2020 or will be forced to drop back and punt a few more years after their deadline, this rebate program reveals it just might be best to wait and see.  Also, this is a program that won't come free.  As tax payers, we all will be paying for the 10 million dollar cost of this.  ($500 X 20,000 = $10mil)  I have not filed the documents which officially certify the installation of my ADS-B and will now hold off until after Sept.  If our government isn't bankrupt by then, maybe I'll see the rebate.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I upgraded my transponder from the Garmin GTX 327 that came with my 2008 CTSW to a Garmin GTX 345 ADS-B in and out unit and replaced the Garmin 496 with a Garmin Aera 796.  The capability of this combined system is eye watering!  There are non-TSO'd solutions available that may use your existing transponder.  Whether they meet the FAA mandate for ADS-B 2020 I don't know.

Hi Doug,

The MRA - LOA is no issue since many have already made panel modifications and FD knows ADSB mods are becoming a necessity.

Just fill out the paperwork and send it in.

I got an MRA for my setup from Arian at FDUSA.

What paperwork are you talking about sending in?

You get an LOA and you should be filling out an MRA form with your info and sending it in for their file.

When I asked Arian about the MRA (which is signed by Tom Peghiny - actually it was Tom that first asked Arian for me) about what I should do with the MRA he told me to keep it with my paperwork on the plane. The MRA authorizes me to do the alteration and return the plane to service. Was he wrong?

And, why would I need a Letter of Authorization for what is authorized in the MRA?

Archived