Wind Dropped Out on Landing - Composite Repair

Fly Boss

Flew to MD1 (Massey Aerodrome in Maryland) yesterday. Nice flight. Wind gave out on us 4 feet off the ground on landing. Not pretty. Broken gear leg.  Plane tied down at destination waiting for the next step. Can't determine if there is further composite damage in the tunnel where the gear leg goes.  Will call Arian tomorrow regarding new leg (right side CTLS). Some questions:

1.  Worrying that replacement legs may not be readily available, does anyone happen to have one?

2.  If composite work is required, are there any FD approved shops in MD, PA, or nearby?  Is there a list?

3.  Will composite shop come get the plane or how does that work at this point?

Thanks for info.

Danny

You can bring it to shamrock air services at airport, ohio. I work with him a lot (students are rough).

Right now it's hard to get parts. Ask lockwood or airtime aviation first.

Landing gear tunnel box damage is usually apparent on the inside of the aircraft. Also, you need to look at the firewall. If either of those are damaged, call your insurance company because it's about to get really expensive.

You can bring it to shamrock air services at airport, ohio. I work with him a lot (students are rough).

Right now it's hard to get parts. Ask lockwood or airtime aviation first.

Landing gear tunnel box damage is usually apparent on the inside of the aircraft. Also, you need to look at the firewall. If either of those are damaged, call your insurance company because it's about to get really expensive.

There is no damage to the wall behind the passenger seat.  In the baggage compartment there is no visible damage to the tunnel box but I can feel a small crack (3") underneath that may or may not be related.  All of the bolts holding the gear leg seem solid and tight.

There is no damage to the wall behind the passenger seat. In the baggage compartment there is no visible damage to the tunnel box but I can feel a small crack (3") underneath that may or may not be related. All of the bolts holding the gear leg seem solid and tight.

It might be the edge of a strip of fabric. You have to use a magnifying glass or borescope.

The gear legs are designed to break under high load. It's part of the parachute system. As a result, if it's not a huge leg break, you likely didn't do hull damage.

The firewall will crack outboard first. Near the bottom of the T mount, are some bolts. Look in that area.

It might be the edge of a strip of fabric. You have to use a magnifying glass or borescope.

Is the tunnel made of anything besides composite (like a metal sleeve)?  Does it provide the structural strength to the leg or do the bolts holding the leg in place?

Is the tunnel made of anything besides composite (like a metal sleeve)? Does it provide the structural strength to the leg or do the bolts holding the leg in place?

I edited my other post, be sure to check it.

The bolts do one two things: align the gear, and keep it from falling out.

The structure is provided by the small rubber pad that should be wrapped around the gear leg, above the U clamp on the outside of the plane, behind the fairing. That rubber exists to take up the slack in the leg, and to transfer the load to that area above the leg. The very outer skin covers some filler, but just behind that is the structural composite buildup.

Deep inside of the leg hole (giggle) provides leverage for the alignment. When you touch down, the leg pushes up on the area near the clamp, and the far inside end is trying to push down. The leg is actually quite long, as it acts like a lever and the length provides the mechanical advantage needed to keep the legs from springing out.

If you don't find damage around the leg hole, or inside the plane around the bulkhead, there's a good chance you are alright and didn't break anything inside of the leg hole either.

There is a AP here at Hampton Roads Airport that is repair facility for CT aircraft

that has done several gear repairs and replacements you can call me if you

want 757 642 4530 Ronnie I am not really posting anymore here but sounds

like you need help.

There is a AP here at Hampton Roads Airport that is repair facility for CT aircraft

that has done several gear repairs and replacements you can call me if you

want 757 642 4530 Ronnie I am not really posting anymore here but sounds

like you need help.

Thanks for this info.  My insurance company is wanting me to have the plane retrieved to a repair center close to the aircraft (MD1) rather than close to where I live. So, it will be repaired in Pennsylvania and then flown back to Virginia. 

• 1 month later...

All composite repairs completed.  Apparently no surprises.  Now waiting for the gear leg.  Found out yesterday that, after 4 weeks waiting, that the leg should be in in another 6 weeks.  10 weeks for a part seems rather outrageous.  I look forward to FD USA getting caught up on deliveries and spare parts from Taiwan. Missing flying.

All composite repairs completed.  Apparently no surprises.  Now waiting for the gear leg.  Found out yesterday that, after 4 weeks waiting, that the leg should be in in another 6 weeks.  10 weeks for a part seems rather outrageous.  I look forward to FD USA getting caught up on deliveries and spare parts from Taiwan. Missing flying.

I'm glad that your aircraft is on the mend and there are no surprises. Have you called FD USA, directly about the part ? I had the experience where, when I needed parts and called them directly I got my parts within days. Hoping you get the same results.

Cheers

I called FD directly so I know 6 weeks is the earliest.  I was willing to take a used leg, and called many salvage type operations including Airtime Aviation.  No luck.  The insurance company is buying ONE leg.  Maybe I should buy the second leg, but I'm hoping the learning experience will avoid future events of a similar nature.

• 4 months later...

I'm delighted to report that my aircraft is finally put back together.  We've been waiting since June for the leg to be manufactured, shipped and installed.  The install part took the shortest amount of time.  Bad timing on my part with restructuring, change of manufacture site, and lack of solid communications with overseas entities.  Over the five months I have replayed my landing technique on a daily basis and I'm certain this shall not happen again (ha).  So happy to get the plane back.

I'm delighted to report that my aircraft is finally put back together.  We've been waiting since June for the leg to be manufactured, shipped and installed.  The install part took the shortest amount of time.  Bad timing on my part with restructuring, change of manufacture site, and lack of solid communications with overseas entities.  Over the five months I have replayed my landing technique on a daily basis and I'm certain this shall not happen again (ha).  So happy to get the plane back.

Its good to hear that your CT is back together.  The title of this thread implies we are at the mercy of conditions and a quirky design but your commitment to prevent it from happening again implies that it can be avoided.

What is your plan? How will you change your technique?

Its good to hear that your CT is back together.  The title of this thread implies we are at the mercy of conditions and a quirky design but your commitment to prevent it from happening again implies that it can be avoided.

What is your plan? How will you change your technique?

I think we are always at the mercy of conditions regardless of what we are flying.  However we should be prepared to those surprises with practiced techniques to get out of them, rather than doing nothing.  In my case there are a couple of things I will be changing: 1) I will have a little more power available to me when landing.  I have always relied on stall landings; 2) I will better trim the airspeed prior to turning final so that I can focus on getting the plane to the ground and then holding it off from landing until the speed bleeds off more; 3) I will be better prepared on the throttle to go around if the wind or other circumstances warrant such action.

I think we are always at the mercy of conditions regardless of what we are flying.  However we should be prepared to those surprises with practiced techniques to get out of them, rather than doing nothing.  In my case there are a couple of things I will be changing: 1) I will have a little more power available to me when landing.  I have always relied on stall landings; 2) I will better trim the airspeed prior to turning final so that I can focus on getting the plane to the ground and then holding it off from landing until the speed bleeds off more; 3) I will be better prepared on the throttle to go around if the wind or other circumstances warrant such action.

As you know CT is a BIG advocate of stall landings. 

In calm to slight xwinds (5kts or less) I used 15 flaps, 62kts over the numbers.  I rarely touched down at stall speeds but just above it.   In slightly stronger winds you may want to go 0 flaps and do the same speed over the numbers.  Or use 15 and add 3kts to 5kts of speed for winds over 10.  Each has their own rule of thumb on it.   The longer you can fly level and then flare just before the mains touch the less you are likely to 'fall' to the runway.

Never land with a quarter or full tail wind if you can help it.  That is a sure way to get into trouble since your lift will disappear and you fly too long over the runway and then drop.

I get into trouble with my CFI on this btw, he likes the big nose up flare and the thump to the runway.  CT will do this all completely differently.  But his way works for him and he seems to really have a special knack for the process.

Archived