Oil temps back to new after all these years

Ed Cesnalis

Out flying in these halcyon days of comfortable temperatures, my right CHT still alarming on climb out. If I throttle back to 4600 or so it will finally calm down, but its just not that hot outside now. Its gonna make for a pretty slow cross country to Page, guess I'll start early.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out flying in these halcyon days of comfortable temperatures, my right CHT still alarming on climb out. If I throttle back to 4600 or so it will finally calm down, but its just not that hot outside now. Its gonna make for a pretty slow cross country to Page, guess I'll start early.

These engines don't get yellow warning CHT unless something is wrong.  I would have it checked before flying it anyway, esp long cross country.

Tom,

3 things on the CTLS. I have seen and know of others who have had the thermostat stick closed, which will cause temps to rise. They go up especially quick while on the ground getting ready for take off. You can tell real quick. If your radiator is cool, but you are indicating hot temps look at the thermostat.

The second is a poor connection on the temp sender. Check the wire and connector at the sender to make sure both are tight and a good connection.

Last check all your ground points. Poor grounding will cause problems with indications.

Archived