Landing or Taking off Next to Helicopter

andyb

There's a helicopter training center at my home airport, and they routinely do landings, takeoffs, hovering, and ground idling on the area adjacent to one of the runways.  They're not small helicopters...they're the full-size commercial ones, similar to what's used for life flights.

The question is whether their operations could disrupt takeoff or landing of a light plane like the CTLS.  As a general rule, I either wait for them to leave or use the other runway.

Any thoughts on this?

Andy

There's a helicopter training center at my home airport, and they routinely do landings, takeoffs, hovering, and ground idling on the area adjacent to one of the runways.  They're not small helicopters...they're the full-size commercial ones, similar to what's used for life flights.

The question is whether their operations could disrupt takeoff or landing of a light plane like the CTLS.  As a general rule, I either wait for them to leave or use the other runway.

Any thoughts on this?

Andy

The biggest hazard a helicopter presents is noise (the down-wash dissipates on the ground so no wake turbulence hazard to aircraft).  Sometimes they use taxiways as a takeoff and landing area so gotta not taxi into them.  

The Colombian drug enforcement uses Reno airport as their primary training facility because the surrounding mountains are most like Columbia.  The biggest problem with them is their lack of clear English and the path they choose to takeoff and land so ya gotta be extra vigilant when they are around.

Notice they always get a 'at your own risk' when approaching a controlled airport....the hazard they face from us is greater than the hazard we face from them...

The biggest hazard a helicopter presents is noise (the down-wash dissipates on the ground so no wake turbulence hazard to aircraft).

I suggest everyone disregard the above as uninformed.

If you wish to be informed, Google "rotor down wash".

You can start here if you like: https://blog.aopa.org/helicopter/?p=210 or here: http://flightclub.jalopnik.com/turbulence-from-a-blackhawk-helicopter-flips-a-small-pl-1683311528

We have lots of military helicopters are my airport to. I sent them that video and ask if they would give more spacing or use the other parallel runway from the planes. Seemed to work.

If I thought is was too close to the rotor wash or downwind of it and I would fly into it I would tell the tower I was aborting the landing or preferred more distance. Bottom line is it's up to the pilot. The tower doesn't usually have a clue. Big helicopters produce big rotors.

Mine didn't.

I flew Huey's for my uncle :ph34r: for 10 years. I like Tom's advice, above, best. The bigger the copter, generally, the bigger the problem. I've seen pictures where a CH-47 Chinook blew over a VW micro bus when the Chinook was doing a quick stop. Intentional I think, during the Chicago riots way back when. That CH-54 in CT's pictures will really do a number on a small plane, especially if the copter is really heavy.

Helicopters idling on the ground, especially smaller ones, are less problematic but I would still keep my CTSW away from it. You may not always know when the "idling" quits and lift off starts. Most helicopter pilots I knew were always courteous and aware of surroundings but it only takes one goof up from a medium size or larger copter and your CT may become history.

So, Andy, to answer your question, yes they could disrupt your take off if you get downwind from the rotor wash. Getting in the rotor wash of one on downwind isn't going to make your day either.

Probably wouldn't hurt to go visit them. Not with an attitude but with hat in hand asking what you can do to ensure safe operations, make their operations easier, and better understand the dangers of operating small planes around helicopters. Fixed and rotary wing operations need separation.

Who knows, your attempt at gaining knowledge plus them getting to meet the pilot of that annoying little "bug smasher" :giggle-3307:  may pay dividends later.

I showed the video to my airport manager today. We have Blackhawks that come over from a neighboring airport and sit on our runway churning at night. We think that they are practicing night vision. They don't communicate real well and it's an accident waiting to happen.

I saw what I remember to be a CH-47 literally blow a airplane out of the air into the ground at Oshkosh years ago. The military helicopter made a un-announced high speed low pass down the runway passing over a landing Breezy. The results were not pretty.

I suggest everyone disregard the above as uninformed.

^^ this. 

Many helicopters will fly a standard pattern, approach and then hover taxi along the runway. Go around/land long or learn the consequences. I don't care if its belt-driven or turbine, rotor wash is not something to mess with. Seriously, think about the physics involved in making a helicopter defy gravity. Further, if there's an idling helicopter on a taxiway and you're going to pass by, especially on landing... verbally confirm they are flat pitch. Most rotor pilots understand and will comply kindly.

100Hamburger, are you not now one of those people you blasted just 2 weeks ago for posting on this forum?

You mean because we sold the CTLSi?  Sure.  But notice those that do not own CTs are still here, right?  When they leave, I will leave.

I can't believe we have to keep coming back to this for just 3-4 people.

People won't post because of fear of being attacked.

Get a handle on this. Engage the clutch between fingers and brain.

Debate is fine, attacks aren't.

We are an informative congenial group. Not a politicians slur campaign. 

Many here are friends and some soft funny joking jabs between such aren't the issue.

Archived