Coolant thermostat removal

Philip Welsch

He doesn't have the Franz. The Franz is an all or nothing fitting that sits directly on top of the radiator and connects to both ports.

Hi Phillip,

It will run hotter the coolant will not have a specific path through the radiator because now it has a dual path and it isn't all through the radiator. You will loose some cooling.  If you want the thermostat out remove and re-plumb that section.

If it's the rotax (permacool) one, then yes it will tom. Basically, the vernatherm closes the bypass (through the body) when it gets too hot. Without it at all, almost all of the oil will flow through bypass and not through the cooler.

The franz design is unknown to me though.

He said, "Any one know what happens to cooling system (not oil)".

My thoughts are the same as Roger's. With the thermostat removed from the housing the coolant will take the path of least resistance. There is know way to know how much if any of the coolant would pass through the radiator. I would change the piping to like that od a SW if you wanted the thermostat out of the system, but I don't think cooling will be any better than if the thermostat is working like it should.

Thank you guys. Cooling is ok, possible thermostat sticking scares the day lights out of me. I once had a new Ford Explorer stick the thermostat before it was three months old - warped the heads. Had to get towed off freeway. Experience burned in my memory.

prw

Archived