New Oil Radiator SB-912-024

S3flyer

Roger -- Back in November 2015 Rotax introduced an new oil radiator with the reason:

1.3) Reason

In the course of continuous development and standardization new oil radiators (part no. 886000/
886002/886004) have been introduced.
In comparison with the current oil radiators (part no. 886022/886023/886024) the following
changes were necessary:
- Modifications in the dimensions of the oil radiator
- Increase of the number of radiator fins

The width is the same as the current radiators and the height is essentially the same for each of the sizes (small, medium and large).  The engineering drawing shows quite a bit more fins (I think).  Is there evidence or field experience with these and do the additional fins aide in cooling?

si-912-024.pdf

Hi Dave,

Those dimensions won't be an issue.

Ed,

If all we are talking about is pushing the engine harder then a better  heat exchanger (more fins to exchange and release heat) may help. How much is anybody's guess. 

Hec, It's only money and that can be replaced and someone has to be the researcher (guinea pig). 

Congrats ED you have been selected by an independent panel.   :clap-3332:  :giggle-3307:

The permacool thermostats do a fantastic job. Had one fail open* and things got hot, but it still managed. It's designed to be impossible for it to completely bypass the cooler, nor will it completely shunt oil to it.

*permacool thermostat bodies act like cooler bypasses when the vernatherm is open. It flows through the body rather than being forced through the cooler.

This new radiator looks very interesting.  I now have the "large" sized version of the older one shown in the SB.  The new one is .08" longer, .29" wider and the same thickness, per the drawing.  And with more cooling fins.  Are we going to get a letter from Tom P authorizing this, or is this not needed since its a rotax approval?  This would allow me to avoid the hassle of going ELSA, and I might want to try it.   WF

This new radiator looks very interesting.  I now have the "large" sized version of the older one shown in the SB.  The new one is .08" longer, .29" wider and the same thickness, per the drawing.  And with more cooling fins.  Are we going to get a letter from Tom P authorizing this, or is this not needed since its a rotax approval?  This would allow me to avoid the hassle of going ELSA, and I might want to try it.   WF

Tom P. indicated I could get an approval for the Seatrab.  Its even a FD part but the FD part cost $2,000. where its only a $200 cooler.  Tom said I probably wanted to fabricate my own.  This just means fastening the new $200 cooler to a new radiator with brackets instead of welds.

If you go with the Rotax upgrade the approval would be a new process I bet where the Seatrab is FD's standard upgrade and was getting an MRA 3 years ago.

You know the Seatrab has plenty of capacity, the Rotax cooler doesn't state a capacity.  It looks like another 10 row cooler so I bet its similar.

The cooler that Tom is talking about below is the Seatrab series 6, 19 row cooler.

Ed:      There is a standard specification larger oil cooler and they are making an MRA to support it.  I’ll have Dave try and find out from Customer Care What the FD part number is.  I assume you’d rather make up your own than buy the FD part?  Also it’s puzzling, you think that the planes once ran cooler and now run hotter? Why is that?      Tom   

I found a partnumber on the Canadian float plane but it wasn't FD, Rotax or Seatrab.  There is a FD number but its $2,000 instead of $200.

I don't think there would be a Rotax pn.  I don't think Rotax coolers are this high capaicity.

The Seatrab number is 50-619-7612 Series 6 19 row 27,000-37,000 Btu range

http://www.setrabusa.com/products/oilcoolers/engine/index.html

It might be worth it for us to split the cost and have the work done together?  

How far along are you on the mounting?  I wonder what Jacque's mounting looks like?

The FD Engineering will be based on your fabrication or their part?

Are you planning on a thermostat?

I am working with Wayne Flemington at F70.  He fabricates experimental stuff and builds custom rotax engines, so he has the skills. I will take him the new cooler on Saturday.  He also owns a CTSW that he can use to help design the install.  I plan to make some drawings and send them to Tom, so he can be confident it will be done in an airworthy manor.  Then, hopefully we get the letter and do the install.  I don't mind paying Tom to help keep the lights on.  He is a good guy.  No thermostat in the plan.  If the Seatrab works too well, I will declare victory and use metal tape in the winter.  WF

Hi, Ed:

Tried to pm you, but the page says you can't receive any more messages.  I tried to fly over to F70 early this morning to deliver the Seatrab to Wayne and get the process started, but I had to turn back when at 3,000 feet (and 102F OAT) I could not climb at all while keeping oil temp below 250.  This will have to wait until things cool off, maybe next week.  The whole process will take some time, but I will post when the new radiator is installed and report on how well it works.  Then, I am sure that Wayne will be happy to have the business and do this for other folks. 

WF

Archived