ADS-B Traffic question

NC Bill

Most times commisseration by saying, "you should just understand the situation like I do" is not helpful, but I know no malice was meant, it has been a long and difficult three years, Mom has been in and out of the hospital about twenty times. Sorry for the reaction Dick.

Doug, I absolutely meant to say what Andy suggests.  I have been through what you're now going thru and I can relate to how hard it is to do so. You too are going down the sometimes long and difficult road of caring for aged parents and you are sticking with them and supporting them in their time of need.  My comments were meant to acknowledge your kind act and to give you support for what you're doing but perhaps I didn't word it correctly.  I wish only the best for you and your parents.

Sorry for the inappropriate reaction, Dick. There are many nuances to the situation including my recent bouts with sciatica and my wife's Parkinson's. It is not "parents" as Mom is the only one still with us. We have both lost brothers at relatively early ages which, in my case left me as an only child and sole POA with written instructions to "take all possible steps to preserve assets" while my heart wants my mom to have the best situation possible. C'est la vie.

Screw the assets, take care of your mom.

Trouble is that goes against both my parents wishes, and a legal document...but I am doing it anyway. The big problem is that when her money runs out she will be on Medicaid. My guess is that we are looking at up to $7k/mo.

That's enough. Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into my personal whining thread.

On ADS-B.. I did get a bit done today but now have to wait for connector pins for the serial ports and a BNC to TNC antenna connector for the transponder. Next will be drilling for and mounting the in blade antenna on thee bottom of the fuse with a ground plane inside.

Doug, what are you using for ground plane for the antenna?  My mechanic had me glue heavy duty aluminum foil to the floor at the Xmit antenna.  This seems to have worked well for me.  There was a "popping" about every second in my Bose A20 headset caused by the ADS-B RFI before I permanently mounted the system.  I was using the "rubber ducky" antennas on the unit during the temporary use.  Now that I've mounted the in/out blade antennas on the belly of my CT, with ground plane on the Xmit, the popping has been eliminated.

Doug, what are you using for ground plane for the antenna?  My mechanic had me glue heavy duty aluminum foil to the floor at the Xmit antenna.  This seems to have worked well for me.  There was a "popping" about every second in my Bose A20 headset caused by the ADS-B RFI before I permanently mounted the system.  I was using the "rubber ducky" antennas on the unit during the temporary use.  Now that I've mounted the in/out blade antennas on the belly of my CT, with ground plane on the Xmit, the popping has been eliminated.

Same plan here. The other option is to use an aluminum plate, but the foil will be a simpler method and as effective.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this will help.

after installing you fly with the equipment so ATC can see your transponder. Then you send them the specifics of that flight to have those confirmed.

One way to submit the data is using this website.

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

Submitted flight details, and received immediate 
response:

Operation Analysis Overview
Surface UAT
Airborne UAT        CHECKED  **************
Surface 1090
Airborne 1090
Prepared By
Surveillance and Broadcast Services (SBS) Program
ADS-B Performance Monitor
August 31, 2016