Lee side rotor zone plus deep canyon approach in a CTSW

Ed Cesnalis

The first minute of this video includes flying in the lee of the Ritter Range, right in the rotor zone.  I seldom fly here, nor do others that know better.  

The last minute of the video I use my 'Duck Pass Approach' where over 11,500' is needed to clear terrain and the canyon walls go above 13,000 but the exit is 9,000'  This is always scary, there is no such thing as calm in this canyon.

Make sure youtube gives you its 1080 version.  Its in sync and you don't see jello.

Ed, the view reminded me of the view out the window of the lunar lander during the Apollo moon landings.  Scary but beautiful.  I consider your flights in these areas a "high wire" performance which leaves little room for error and no tolerance for equipment failure.

Ed, the view reminded me of the view out the window of the lunar lander during the Apollo moon landings.  Scary but beautiful.  I consider your flights in these areas a "high wire" performance which leaves little room for error and no tolerance for equipment failure.

I did just order a new PLB.  My old ones still gets good battery tests but they were due to replace in 2012. Replacement costs are $100 + $75 labor for install plus testing under various conditions.  I bought a new one that's smaller for little more than battery replacement cost on my 10 year old ACR.

Are there any large changes from the older ACR?  Mines about 4 years old and has a blade antenna which must be unfurled.  I imagine this new one has the same antenna setup?  How about the activation?  Still need to push the button?

Are there any large changes from the older ACR?  Mines about 4 years old and has a blade antenna which must be unfurled.  I imagine this new one has the same antenna setup?  How about the activation?  Still need to push the button?

Mine is 2-3 years old, and has the same blade antenna.  The antenna doubles as a shield for the activation button to prevent inadvertent activation.  It's a clumsy design, but it is what it is I guess.

Archived