Paint Issue

FlyingMonkey

Hey all...

the paint on my airplane is generally pretty good.  But on the top for my horizontal stabilator, there have always been small bubbles on the paint, more on the left side than the right, but on both.  They are hard so they definitely appear to be paint defects and not some form of tiny delaminations.  I have always just shrugged and said "well, nothing is perfect."

During my last preflight, I noticed than some of the bubbles are starting to form little half-moon cracks at their bases.  These are just cracks in the paint, I have some cracks elsewhere on the airplane.  But these are numerous enough and small scale that I started to wonder if I need to repaint the stab to prevent moisture getting in there and harming the composite.  I don't fly in rainy weather much at all, but Georgia is a very humid climate...

Here's a close-up picture of the issue...as you can see there are a lot of tiny bubbles and about a third have the tiny cracks at their bases:

paint_bubbles_zps1ogfueh1.jpg

I have seen this on a few CT's over the years. It isn't that uncommon. I have seen dimpling too. Unless you just can't live with it and it's killing you I would leave it alone for the time being. This has been self limiting in the past, but who knows on a case by case basis. If it continues to get worse and or the bubbles start flaking then I would take some action. It could be sanded and re-painted.

I have seen this on a few CT's over the years. It isn't that uncommon. I have seen dimpling too. Unless you just can't live with it and it's killing you I would leave it alone for the time being. This has been self limiting in the past, but who knows on a case by case basis. If it continues to get worse and or the bubbles start flaking then I would take some action. It could be sanded and re-painted.

That's what I figured.  It doesn't see rain but about once a year, so it should be okay unless as you said it flakes and exposes composite.  Then I'll have it sanded, painted, and re-balanced.  

Andy, you may already know this but if you decide to get your stab painted, you can get the color computer matched at most paint supply stores and some auto supply stores.  I had my wing touched up and took in my cargo door to the local auto supply shop that has the computer matching system.  They did a computer match of the color and generated a mix to use for Dupont automotive paint since this is the paint the person who painted my wing works with.  This matched my wing exactly.  The computer will generate a mix for most types of paints.  Not all whites are the same.  There are subtle differences between CT's regarding color.  My friend had his CTLS touched up using the same computer matching.  He had a different color mix than my CTSW and also got a nice color match.

Andy, you may already know this but if you decide to get your stab painted, you can get the color computer matched at most paint supply stores and some auto supply stores.  I had my wing touched up and took in my cargo door to the local auto supply shop that has the computer matching system.  They did a computer match of the color and generated a mix to use for Dupont automotive paint since this is the paint the person who painted my wing works with.  This matched my wing exactly.  The computer will generate a mix for most types of paints.  Not all whites are the same.  There are subtle differences between CT's regarding color.  My friend had his CTLS touched up using the same computer matching.  He had a different color mix than my CTSW and also got a nice color match.

Thanks Dick.  I think if I have to go through the trouble of painting, I might do something fun with it.  I think a CTSW with a red stab might look pretty cool.   :)

Archived