FAA: Drones Outnumber Airplanes

gbigs

In 8 months registering drones, 500,000 have been added.  FAA Administrator Michael Huerta said today in Washington, already outnumbering the 320,000 registered manned aircraft.   And there is STILL no way to make sure these things do not fly into controlled airspace or at 5,000 feet coming directly at you and be detected before it's too late.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/FAA-Drones-Outnumber-Airplanes-226741-1.html

In 8 months registering drones, 500,000 have been added.  FAA Administrator Michael Huerta said today in Washington, already outnumbering the 320,000 registered manned aircraft.   And there is STILL no way to make sure these things do not fly into controlled airspace or at 5,000 feet coming directly at you and be detected before it's too late.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/FAA-Drones-Outnumber-Airplanes-226741-1.html

Does not surprise me, they are cheaper, than regular aircraft , and require little training.

Cheers

First off, I registered because I fly model aircraft. The FAA is not registering drones, they are registering pilots. Many of the pilots who registered have more than one. The reason for the large number is because all of the people who have been flying model aircraft safely for years were illegally required to register by the FAA's mandate. I agree that something needed to be done, but I don't like the way they did it.

In my opinion, here's the two chief items that have to be addressed in the interest of safety.

1. Training so people understand the airspace system, and where to fly their UAS.
  2. Identification so we can identify who is using it, or at least, who owns it.

1 is solved pretty easy by some sort of certification. Sending a plastic card for private use would be silly, just have an online training course and have a printable card. An FAA website would be available for law enforcement to verify the card by simply putting the info as written on the card, and the FAA website will simply say if it's valid or not.**

2 is solved by some sort of identification on the UAS. Although, simply painting on an ID number doesn't really get it as those are easily damaged. A stamped metal plate would be a lot more helpful.

A month ago one of our CTs had a near miss with a quadcopter that flew right in front of them. I don't mind drones, but what I do mind is people who fly them in the approach path.

** I don't understand why we have plastic airmen cards. What a waste of time and money. They should have stayed paper. Just let people print the damn things out from amsrvs and if their legitimacy is questioned, law enforcement can check their state issued photo id and punch in the info on the paper card against the amsrvs system. Again, it won't actually output airmen's info, since that should already be on the card, rather, just check what was put in and simply state "Valid" or "Not valid". Simple.

Archived