Oil Pressure Guage

rhanson

My 912ULS oil pressure Guage sometimes is pegged, 100%.

For takeoff it is normal, 30 - 70 psi.

The A/P thinks that a sensor( horiz. Barrel) on the front of the engine can be easily replaced to correct the problem.

Any ideas on cost, and correct diagnosis ?

RH

FYI

SEZ AD Closed for 10 days; resurfacing.

My 912ULS oil pressure Guage sometimes is pegged, 100%.

For takeoff it is normal, 30 - 70 psi.

The A/P thinks that a sensor( horiz. Barrel) on the front of the engine can be easily replaced to correct the problem.

Any ideas on cost, and correct diagnosis ?

RH

FYI

SEZ AD Closed for 10 days; resurfacing.

The VDO sensors work by varying the resistance from low resistance for low pressure to high resistance for high pressure. 180 ohms = about 145 PSI.

My gauge has recently started wild swings (70psi to 10psi) again, and seems based on engine rpm.  Last time I tightened the grounds and it was fixed.  I will have to do that again, and if that doesn't do it I will get another sender.  I was hoping I was done replacing senders when I moved it to the firewall...time will tell.

Hi Andy,

Big swings tend to be bad wire connections or a poor ground. Not usually the sensor. I had a fuel pressure swing a while back that would set the alarm off. Took me a while to find it. I knew it wasn't the real fuel pressure.  I had done everything. What it finally was the spade connectors on the sender itself. They felt like they were on there nice and firm. I had pulled them off and slid them back on, but out of desperation I squeezed them with some pliers and problem solved. Sometimes it's the smallest thing.

Hi Andy,

Big swings tend to be bad wire connections or a poor ground. Not usually the sensor. I had a fuel pressure swing a while back that would set the alarm off. Took me a while to find it. I knew it wasn't the real fuel pressure.  I had done everything. What it finally was the spade connectors on the sender itself. They felt like they were on there nice and firm. I had pulled them off and slid them back on, but out of desperation I squeezed them with some pliers and problem solved. Sometimes it's the smallest thing.

One of the things I did was pull the spade connectors off and re-seated them last time.  I might need to use some pliers.  It's hard to see in there which wire is the oil pressure sender wire though...any advice on picking the right wire so I don't have to just put the piers to them all?

Archived