Decal Replacement

Mrfoodflyboy

I need to replace my tail number decals. I can get them off with a heat gun but how do I remove the glue left behind? Goo Gone? Acetone? Any ideas? I don't want to harm the carbon fiber fuselage.

Isopropyl Alcohol cleans safely and without a toxic problem for you. 

• 4 weeks later...

If you want to go more organic, you can use extra virgin olive oil or just about any cooking oil or Pam. I got some stubborn glue off my side windows without damaging the acrylic. The oil/glue residue had to be removed with Composiclean window cleaner. The oil seems to take the grip out of the glue, then the whole mess can be cleaned off as normal.

Warm up the old decal material and use Goofoff. I have seen two planes take off their entire decal setup. It is still going to be work. Use a terry cloth rag. It scrubs better than a smooth one. After you get through scrubbing with the Goofoff or any other cleaner make sure you wipe and clean that area off.

I just finished doing that on two CTLS's. You can use acetone and it that doesn't work you can use laquer thinner. Neither one did any damage to the paint. When heating the old number don't get them too hot and burn the paint. Use a plastic scraper. Remember the paint is much softer when warm so it is possible to scrape the paint.  Lots of work.

Archived