Nose gear Problem

rhanson

Its a better idea to take off from and land on the mains only.  Crosswind takeoffs in the CT are an exception.  I maintain that above 40knots your nose wheel shouldn't be in contact. Even if the front end can take it.

The takeoff roll on a hard runway with 0 or 15 flaps is 46kts.  The wheels should not shimmy and no special technique should be used.

The takeoff roll on a hard runway with 0 or 15 flaps is 46kts.  The wheels should not shimmy and no special technique should be used.

Elevating your nose wheel on take off roll isn't exactly 'special' technique and there's more than one reason to use it.  For instance the 46kts you quote is only the right speed at the right weight and weight is always changing.  If your roll with back pressure your CT will take off at exactly the right moment for the weight.  Saving your nose gear is an added benefit.

Elevating your nose wheel on take off roll isn't exactly 'special' technique and there's more than one reason to use it.  For instance the 46kts you quote is only the right speed at the right weight and weight is always changing.  If your roll with back pressure your CT will take off at exactly the right moment for the weight.  Saving your nose gear is an added benefit.

That's how I have always done it. Habit from a previous life in Alaska where gravel runways, except for Homeplate, were the norm.

If on a paved runway pulling back on the stick to 'lighten' the nose-wheel defeats steering to an extent since the nose-wheel is steered using the rudder peddles in the FD CT.   If on grass or gravel the short field technique is required to keep the nose-wheel from snagging in the turf...

If on a paved runway pulling back on the stick to 'lighten' the nose-wheel defeats steering to an extent since the nose-wheel is steered using the rudder peddles in the FD CT.   If on grass or gravel the short field technique is required to keep the nose-wheel from snagging in the turf...

au contraire mon ami :)  You have to transition from nose-wheel steering to rudder steering at some point and the sooner the better.  Once your nose wheel is elevated you no longer run the risk of nosing over from a sudden correction. 

au contraire mon ami :)  You have to transition from nose-wheel steering to rudder steering at some point and the sooner the better.  Once your nose wheel is elevated you no longer run the risk of nosing over from a sudden correction. 

Sure.  At rotation the wheel lifts and off you go.   Personal preferences...more than anything. I understand why you may want to get the wheel light and off sooner rather than later, but there is no harm in rolling for 200 feet using rudder steering.  

In my Cirrus the nose wheel is castoring.  The factory teaches to use the toe brakes to stay aligned.  I never could master that...so I use rudder  only and start with the nose pointing slightly right before pushing the throttle full.  The big constant speed prop churns the air and the plane starts rolling to the left and then as the prop wash hits the tail the nose goes straight enough to roll to rotation.  Rotation speed is 83 knots and it takes 1500 feet of runway at 5000 feet standard day to get the speed.  Once in the air I have to quickly take out the flaps, speed just 90kts.  Then I have to get the pitot heat on, watch manifold pressure, pitch for 120kts IAS climbout speed and trim the plane while switching to departure and getting my turn vectors.  It's a lot  more work than flying the CT.

Sure.  At rotation the wheel lifts and off you go.   Personal preferences...more than anything. I understand why you may want to get the wheel light and off sooner rather than later, but there is no harm in rolling for 200 feet using rudder steering.  

In my Cirrus the nose wheel is castoring.  The factory teaches to use the toe brakes to stay aligned.  I never could master that...so I use rudder  only and start with the nose pointing slightly right before pushing the throttle full.  The big constant speed prop churns the air and the plane starts rolling to the left and then as the prop wash hits the tail the nose goes straight enough to roll to rotation.  Rotation speed is 83 knots and it takes 1500 feet of runway at 5000 feet standard day to get the speed.  Once in the air I have to quickly take out the flaps, speed just 90kts.  Then I have to get the pitot heat on, watch manifold pressure, pitch for 120kts IAS climbout speed and trim the plane while switching to departure and getting my turn vectors.  It's a lot  more work than flying the CT.

If it's too much for you, go back to a CT :giggle-3307:

Archived