Landing light

Jerry

• 4 weeks later...

Jerry, contact Arian at Flight Design USA at   topservice@flightdesignusa.com   I don't have the part number but Arian will know which one you wish to buy and will provide you with the MRA which allows you to do this. Tom would know best but the retrofit light I am familiar with is rectangular and this requires a modification of the cowl to change to this light.  I think FD has an insert which accepts the light and you will probably want to buy this which you will then cut and paste into your cowl.  A knowledge and ability and having the materials to do composite repair is required.

Jerry, contact Arian at Flight Design USA at   topservice@flightdesignusa.com   I don't have the part number but Arian will know which one you wish to buy and will provide you with the MRA which allows you to do this. Tom would know best but the retrofit light I am familiar with is rectangular and this requires a modification of the cowl to change to this light.  I think FD has an insert which accepts the light and you will probably want to buy this which you will then cut and paste into your cowl.  A knowledge and ability and having the materials to do composite repair is required.

They have had one that is a drop in replacement for the MR16 bulb on the CTSW and early CTLS. No modification is necessary.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I had the Flight Design LED landing light installed in my 2006 CTSW back in Tulsa when I purchased it. I started getting serious about night flying a few weeks ago, but my landing light was severely mis-aimed. In the process of correcting that, I noticed that the MR16 bulb was only rated for 430 lumens (having a mountain bike light that is 1500 lumens I was not too happy, ha ha)!

So, investigated and I found a drop in replacement that is rated at 580 lumens. I thought it would require a different resister, but found out the resistor is installed in the light.

So, the data:

The light which Flight Design furnished: Green Creative 40807 (7.5MR16G4DIM/930SP15) The 7.5 is the watts, on the bulb is says 430 lumens.

The light that I found as a drop in replacement: Green Creative 57978 (8.5MR16DIM/930SP15). On the bulb it says 580 lumens.

They both are the same color light output, both are Spot Lights (15 degree light cone). I ordered the replacement bulb from Amazon prime for a total cost of under $17. They get it from 1000 Bulbs, but with Amazon I get free 2 day shipping (since I have Prime). There is only a single LED inside the bulb instead of the 5 in the furnished bulb. Arian recommended a different make bulb as a drop in replacement, but it was not higher lumens and it was not a 15 degree spot (I think it was a 25). I am quite happy with the replacement bulb and I think the 15 degree spot is a better choice too. I night flew with everything on and did not get an alternator warning light. I even have a small tablet installed with a charge cord. By the way, my cabin light is the LED strip lighting kit by Crazed Pilot. I had to get a single red LED bulb for the compass, but routed in right to the same controller. I could furnish some more specifics if anyone needs cabin lighting.

Night taxi.jpg

Oops, update: The Soraa 00957 is a good LED bulb to use (and that is what Arian recommended to me).

I think the Spot Light (15 degree beam of the 57979) is preferable to Narrow Flood (25 degree beam of the Soraa 00957). But, that's just my opinion, have not seen the difference.

Pleased to see that you guys are using the higher lumen LED's!

ET

I am interested in how the Green Creative 57978 subjectively compares to the Soraa 00957. Does 15 deg vs. 25 deg help that much? I tried the Soraa but changed back to the stock halogen after only one night flight. Much less light than stock. No warning light is nice, but being able to see the runway is nicer...

I can only presume that my illumination within my 15 degree beam is more intense than the 25 degree beam of the Soraa. I'm sure the spec sheets tell the story, but it is over my head! We will have to all meet at a fly in some time, ha ha.

Happy flying all . . . .

ET

• 2 years later...
On 6/30/2017 at 3:14 PM, ibjet said:

I have info that it is the Soraa 00957, there is a link about 10 posts up to 1000Blubs page on it.

Hi guys,

Would this be the same bulb a 2012 CTLS uses? Mine burnt out the other day without warning, would like to upgrade to LED, my lens is still in good shape. 

Just so I know what to prepare for, is the lens siliconed to the bulb housing itself? I can tell my lens has been siliconed, I just haven't pulled the cowl until I get a bulb to see if the whole assembly comes out with the lens as 1 unit or if the lens stays in place and the bulb and housing just butt up to it. Thanks in advance guys!