Using aluminum tape on air intake grill?

Buckaroo

I finally received my new to me 2007 CTSW and am I happy with her so far.

I'm in Montana and she will be stored in a hanger at 45 degrees.

Question: The seller recommended I take a strip of the aluminum 2 inch tape and run one strip across the grill from left to right.

Is this technique recommended by members? It took us awhile on the ramp waiting for engine temps to get to acceptable range for takeoff.

Yes!  That is about the best way to control temps in the winter.  At anything below about 60°F, it gets hard for the engine to get to a good temp.  I usually run a small block of tape, maybe 2"x2", on the center top of the radiator when temps are in the 50s.  When it gets colder, you just put more tape across the top.  In Georgia I usually end up with all but a half inch or so on the outer edges covered.  In Montana you will probably need to go all the way across in the cold months.

Ideal temp is probably 210-220°F...that is hot enough to boil off any condensation water in the engine.  Anything over 190°F is probably okay, since the oil temp sensor is at the outer, coolest part of the engine and the core is probably hot enough.  Honestly I think if you run the engine enough the temps don't matter as much, but if you don't get the engine hot enough and then it sits for a few weeks between flights, that internal water can cause some corrosion issues over time.

What Andy said.

By "grill" I assume you mean the front of the water radiator.  I am in central Iowa and when flying at 10 degrees F I will need more than one strip of tape.  Also, next time you have the cowling off, note that the oil cooler (right behind the water radiator) is not as wide as the radiator.

Andy - I don't think there is any way to keep water out of the crankcase.  The primary products of combustion are water and carbon dioxide.  Any exhaust that gets around the rings (and plenty does - that's how the 912 pressurizes the crankcase to push oil back to the tank) brings moisture with it.  So, anytime a piston engine is shut down there is moisture in the crankcase, no matter how hot it got during flight.

I suspect that the best solution, as you mentioned, is frequent use of the engine.

I read where the proper Rotax coolant has no water?

That is only if you have Evans anti-freeze. I don't think it is being recommended any longer - at least in the US. If you have it though it would take draining (and probably flushing) the system to replace it with Dexcool 50/50.

Adding water to Evans can cause issues, as I understand it.

Andy - I don't think there is any way to keep water out of the crankcase.  The primary products of combustion are water and carbon dioxide.  Any exhaust that gets around the rings (and plenty does - that's how the 912 pressurizes the crankcase to push oil back to the tank) brings moisture with it.  So, anytime a piston engine is shut down there is moisture in the crankcase, no matter how hot it got during flight.

I suspect that the best solution, as you mentioned, is frequent use of the engine.

I agree that water is unavoidable, after all it's in the air itself!  But getting oil temps over 212°F should allow collected water to boil off to steam and escape the system.  If you never hit that temp, water would just continue to accumulate and condense when the engine cools down.  At least that is my understanding of these engines...I'm not a mechanical engineer.  

I read where the proper Rotax coolant has no water?

If you do have the Evans waterless coolant, I'd suggest finding the proper procedure to flush it out, and replacing with Dexcool 50/50.  The Evans runs hotter temps and is harder to deal with.  Plus if anybody works on the airplane who doesn't know about Evans, they might top off with a water-based coolant, then you are in for a whole host of other issues. 

You have to add distilled water to Dexcool 50/50 concentrate.  It comes both ways.

Dexcool does come in concentrate, but the Dexcool 50/50 already has the water mixed in. That is the reason for the 50/50 in the name. The reason I recommend using the 50/50 premix is because the ratio of coolant is already set. By the time you buy the concentrate and distilled water, find an empty jug and precisely mix the two you likely have not saved anything. However it would work in a pinch if the 50/50 was not available.

Archived