Having trouble getting in her!

Buckaroo

I'm a new owner of a 2007 CTSW and so far am in love except for one thing. At 6'4" and old it's challenging getting in the plane. I seem to try it different techniques every time searching for the answer.

Any techniques would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a new owner of a 2007 CTSW and so far am in love except for one thing. At 6'4" and old it's challenging getting in the plane. I seem to try it different techniques every time searching for the answer.

Any techniques would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

You are max height and size for the plane.  You may never find an easy way to to it.  The standard way is to sit in the seat first from a standing position outside then swing your legs in.  You will of course need to have the seat already all the way back on the slides.

I was a beefy at 230lbs back then. I think age has a lot to do with it too, I was 50-52 when I owned mine. Just remember, you could be trying to get into a sling chair in the back of a Cub! People may disagree with me but I looked at a lot of LSA's back then and the CT was about the only option roomwise

No the box is no problem at all. I must say that once I'm in I'm quite comfortable in all respects. The non existent seat pad now has a gel pad on top that works well.

The biggest problem I have with the seats is a lack of lumbar support.  I bought a pair of these, secured under the leather seat covers and velcroed to the seat pans.  They are in-flight adjustable with inflation bulb, work great.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/inflatelumbar.php?clickkey=1186020

The older we get the harder to get in And out of an aircraft cockpit. Being 5 ' 10" and just under 200 size is not a problem,it's the old bones, like the ct's would rather step up into the airplane and slide out. If you want to fly you'll find a comfortable way ,and the Ct line will fill the bill.

Yes right now I wish I was 6 foot and 160 lbs. I am so driven to do this I will do whatever it takes. I already lost 4 lbs in two weeks.

Just don't modify the seat shell (the carbon fiber part of the seat) or the straps that hold the seat off the deck;  they are designed to absorb forces if the chute is pulled.

Those look pretty good. The seller gave me these very light webbed back rests but I haven't tried them yet. I'm still waiting to get a flight instructor over here for a check out and biannual.

I've used those as well, they work okay but over time the mesh stretches and they lose support.  Another option is the Mueller back brace you can get at many pharmacies:

https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Adjustable-Lumbar-Back-Brace/dp/B000P616M0/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1481040130&sr=8-4&keywords=mueller+adjustable+back+brace

When I'm flying legs more than 3 hours or so, or multiple long legs in one day, the combination of the inflatable lumbar support and the Mueller brace works very well.

I prefer synthetic over petroleum grease. Just apply in specific places and you'll slide right in. ;)

I'm not a little guy as some will tell you and I slide in and out of many CT's per year. I always grab the bar in front of the spar box, head and shoulders in first, put my hand on the console between the seats and then slide my rear end up over the door edge and onto the seat.

p.s.

Do not wipe extra grease off here as it helps on exit.  :laughter-3293:

Here I just got my chain saw running! I'll give those suggestions a try! Thanks!

All I'm doing is hanger flying waiting for my CFI guy to sign me off after a few hours of air work and touch and goes.

The trouble is it 5 below zero and wind chill of 26 below. I'm not flying her until it back up in the mid 20's. I ran a strip of aluminum tape across the radiator.

I wonder if she would ever get to 124 degrees in temperatures of 5 to 15 degrees? I once rode my Harley when it was 15 degrees and it never did warm up.

Archived