Having trouble getting in her!

Buckaroo

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He could have gotten more hood time toward his instrument.  He probably was better off practicing for his Private checkride and staying sharp.

We did plenty of hood and night. I like doing the instrument training at night. I think it is more productive, because it is harder to cheat. He is adding the instrument, commercial, and instructor at a part 141 university program. He was supposed to have the private finished before he transferred, but weather and scheduling the check ride caused some delays.

Part 121 airlines have 4 fatalities per million hours and have very high training standards.  Part 91 GA has nearly 6x that rate, 23 fatalities per million hours and have relatively low training requirements. 

The most unlicensed pilots are in Alaska.  People with ZERO hours of training.  Alaska has far more aircraft accidents than other states.    Maybe trying to get a license or rating in the least amount of time/training possible is not such a good idea?

Part 123 airlines have 4 fatalities per million hours and have very high training standards.  Part 91 GA has nearly 6x that rate, 23 fatalities per million hours and have relatively low training requirements. 

The most unlicensed pilots are in Alaska.  People with ZERO hours of training.  Alaska has far more aircraft accidents than other states.    Maybe trying to get a license or rating in the least amount of time/training possible is not such a good idea?

Aviation wise it's a different world up there. I flew in AK for almost 40 years and had no accidents. Weather can be really snotty and unpredictable. Reporting stations are few and far between. There are not airports around every corner like the lower 48 so when you get in trouble options can be few. With few exceptions you can legally land anywhere you want - wheels, skies or floats. When you see that trophy moose sometimes good sense goes out the window.

Not defending their accident stats, just saying it's another world there. Unless you have a few years of AK experience under your belt you shouldn't make judgment. Unlicensed pilots? I never met any.

Also, in Alaska flying is essential for survival.  If you need to fly an airplane somewhere to get food, you are not going to starve to death because you don't have a government-sanctioned piece of paper.  You do what you gotta do.  Especially combined with the fact that getting busted by the FAA in non-commercial operations in AK is probably about as common as getting struck by lightning.  While being attacked by a shark.

Part 123 airlines have 4 fatalities per million hours and have very high training standards. Part 91 GA has nearly 6x that rate, 23 fatalities per million hours and have relatively low training requirements.

The most unlicensed pilots are in Alaska. People with ZERO hours of training. Alaska has far more aircraft accidents than other states. Maybe trying to get a license or rating in the least amount of time/training possible is not such a good idea?

That is inaccurate.

Just for the record, there aren't any "Part 123 airlines." If you think so, please post some examples.

Especially combined with the fact that getting busted by the FAA in non-commercial operations in AK is probably about as common as getting struck by lightning.  While being attacked by a shark.

Some exceptions once in a while. The one time I got "ramped" we were in an out of the way place, but still near Anchorage, and had stopped to take a break and swap pilots for check rides we were doing in a CAP Beaver. There was no evidence of anyone else around when out of the brush comes two guys waving ID saying we're from the FAA and here to ramp check you guys. That was a surprise. All went well. Turns out they were fishing (never knew that was a good place to fish) and figured they would have some fun knowing that we wouldn't shoot them. We were "low hanging fruit".

Other than that, during my almost 40 years as PIC or on charters, I never heard of or saw any ramp checks being conducted. Might it have something to do with that scruffy guy just crawling out of a Super Cub in a really remote place with a .44Mag strapped on?? <_<

When are you going to stop your relentless attacks on gbigs?

The relentless attacks stopped a long time ago. However I still think it is important to get the facts straight. Part 123 could be a typo, and this goes with others he has made in this thread, like sign offs at 80 kts, and gross weight of 1300 pounds.

All this from I can't get in her! I knew when I bought this CTSW I was joining a bunch of rebels! Lol

You should see how long some of my "innocent" threads have gotten.  Roger makes fun of me all the time for it.  Welcome to the CTFlier lifestyle, where 200 users all have to get the last word in!  :D

Once I start flying her I'm sure my head will get big and I'll be bloviating with the best of them! Lol

Nah.  You are asking good questions and as a CTSW owner will find this site valuable.   It's a good site.  My ownership of the CTLSi was enhanced getting advise I got here from guys like Roger, CharlieTango, DougG, Morden (Monkey man), FastEddie and others like them.

My experience is I back up to the door/seat but if I don't first put my head in and behind the wing spar box I can't get my head in the door opening.

I think it's a belly problem at the moment! I've lost six lbs since a month ago. My goal is 14 more by Spring.

Archived