Magnetic plug?

Buckaroo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buckaroo and Roger, I'm wondering if Buckaroo is mistaking the mag plug which is not a really a drain plug and is used to check for metal with the oil drain plug at the bottom of the oil reservoir?  I don't believe that the oil reservoir drain plug is magnetic.

Reading one of these forum responses someone said the oil drain plug isn't magnetic! Searching the Rotax maintenance manual it says it is!

12-00-00 page 33 rev 1 Jan 01/2002

Yes the oil drain plug is different than the magetic plug higher up on the engine.  The mag plug should be removed first and take a picture of it between each oil change to track how much metal is on it.  Also, the oil filter is supposed to be cut open and the same picture taken to track metal filings inside the filter too.  This combined information is critical to determing wear and tear.

Mag plug description and location: 

Ok got it! Thanks a bunch!

That's a new one as on all my motorcycles, quads, side by side etc they always put the mag plug at the lowest possible position in the oil case which is always the drain plug!

I suspect is because of the dry sump system. The safety wiring can be a bit of a PITA at times.

I suspect is because of the dry sump system. The safety wiring can be a bit of a PITA at times.

To do the safety wiring I do a double loop around a deep well socket that is slightly larger than the head of the lock pin bolt, then I pre-twist the wire to the approximate length. I then slip the loop over the head of the lock pin bolt head and finish the process.

To do the safety wiring I do a double loop around a deep well socket that is slightly larger than the head of the lock pin bolt, then I pre-twist the wire to the approximate length. I then slip the loop over the head of the lock pin bolt head and finish the process.

Same here. Easy to do.

Thanks for the tip! My big problem (as you probably know since you came up with a solution) was the loop slipping off the lock pin bolt.

- One of those "Why didn't I think of that" moments. Thanks again - I am glad I said something.

One other thing I have seen done is to drill a small hole in the head of the lock pin bolt for the safety wire to go through. If someone before me has drilled the hole I will use it, but if not I just use the method I described in the other post.

What are the rules or regs as to what items have to be safely wired? Seems if the magnetic plug has to be wired any critical plug or bolt would have to be wired! Maybe this is the case!

I would safety wire any place the manufacture has made provisions to be wired. The ones that come to mind are, magnetic plug, oil drain plug, oil pressure relief valve, and oil return line on bottom of the engine.

I would safety wire any place the manufacture has made provisions to be wired. The ones that come to mind are, magnetic plug, oil drain plug, oil pressure relief valve, and oil return line on bottom of the engine.

Also the gascolator has a safety wire provision.  Usually if a fitting has a hole for a wire, that means if that fitting comes out/off there will be "unpleasant" consequences, so use the wire!

What are the rules or regs as to what items have to be safely wired? Seems if the magnetic plug has to be wired any critical plug or bolt would have to be wired! Maybe this is the case!

Where you see the wiring you need to replace the wiring.  Note the drain plug is also wired.  It's special wire a special tool and a special skill to do it right.  I had to learn it from an A&P who did our annuals.

Where you see the wiring you need to replace the wiring.  Note the drain plug is also wired.  It's special wire a special tool and a special skill to do it right.  I had to learn it from an A&P who did our annuals.

Wiring only needs to be replaced if you undo it. Since he is coming from an aviation background the wire and pliers are nothing special. They have been used by aviation technicians for many years.

As a side note the wiring can be done in many cases without the use of a special tool. When I did my training for A&P we had to do plenty of safety wiring, and were not allowed to use the safety wire pliers. It was mostly done by hand, or with duckbill pliers. The big thing they wanted was no tool marks left on the wire. The real world is quite different.

NOBODY should be using Tempest, Champion, Fram or Purolator filters.

When Rotax put out this last oil filter it is TOO different from other filters now. You will also void any warranties and void any good will price reductions after the warranty if you use these others. If the Rotax filter is applied right it will not come off. This is not a Continental or Lycoming. You do not need to safety wire these. I can always tell when an uneducated person changes oil. Wrong filters and safety wired filters.

This is interesting as the oil filter is only taught to be tightened 270 degrees from contact with no wire!

Have you ever had a properly installed oil filter come off or even lose enough to leak significant oil on any vehicle? I'm 50 and I've never seen it happen. I think wiring the filter is unnecessary if it's properly tightened.

Archived