Magnetic plug?

Buckaroo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NOBODY should be using Tempest, Champion, Fram or Purolator filters.

When Rotax put out this last oil filter it is TOO different from other filters now. You will also void any warranties and void any good will price reductions after the warranty if you use these others. If the Rotax filter is applied right it will not come off. This is not a Continental or Lycoming. You do not need to safety wire these. I can always tell when an uneducated person changes oil. Wrong filters and safety wired filters.

Yea, I found that out the hard way when Lone Mountain did my first oil change and used a non-Rotax filter.  But notice the aviation sites still sell a "Rotax" filter like Tempest.  And some shops will make the substitution if you don't tell them not to....I still own a half dozen Rotax filters just in case I get another plane with a Rotax (and likely will getting the Aerotrek).  It would seem Rotax should somehow tell shops and websites to stop selling the alternative filters for their engines.

" It would seem Rotax should somehow tell shops and websites to stop selling the alternative filters for their engines."

They have a hundred times over, but they don't listen. It's all about money in their pocket and failure to research what differences there may be. Failure on a shop's side doesn't have to equate to failure on the owner's side. Education is everyone's only diffence in most aspects of our lives. 

Rotax filters do not have provisions for lock wire, nor do they teach using it on the filter.

You should always lockwire an oil filter . You do this by placing a hose clamp (worm drive) around the filter then wiring this to some fixed point . I am surprised that everybody doesn't know this . If you have ever had one come loose in flight - well you can imagine the mess . Here in Aus. it would be rare to see a filter not wired .

NOBODY should be using Tempest, Champion, Fram or Purolator filters.

When Rotax put out this last oil filter it is TOO different from other filters now. You will also void any warranties and void any good will price reductions after the warranty if you use these others. If the Rotax filter is applied right it will not come off. This is not a Continental or Lycoming. You do not need to safety wire these. I can always tell when an uneducated person changes oil. Wrong filters and safety wired filters.

Or worse still is to use the cheap Chinese filters . I have seen one that came loose in flight that had an "o"ring instead of the flat rubber gasket. Result forced landing into field with minor damage. 

You should always lockwire an oil filter . You do this by placing a hose clamp (worm drive) around the filter then wiring this to some fixed point . I am surprised that everybody doesn't know this . If you have ever had one come loose in flight - well you can imagine the mess . Here in Aus. it would be rare to see a filter not wired .

If you install a Rotax oil filter, in accordance with the Rotax Line Maintenance Manual, and tighten the filter 270 degrees (as per instructions), you will need a filter wrench to get it off. There is no way it can be removed without the tool. That is how tight the fit will be.

Hi CT9000,

Does your Rotax oil filter take a wrench to loosen it?

This is very rare here. This is what Continental and Lycoming mechanics do. This engine isn't one of them and Rotax doesn't recommend it. I have maybe seen 2 wired in all my years and people coming to me and then I knew it was an A&P that hadn't been to Rotax school and was thinking Cont. and lycoming. With the gigantic number and huge majority of Rotax engine oil filters worldwide that aren't wired that would be the best indicator it isn't needed.

I agree with others that if put on properly it takes a wrench to get it off. It tightens after the engine is run.

With Rotax supplying 80-85% of the world's small aircraft engines, 50K engines on the market and over 5 million run hours they should know if there is a problem with oil filters coming loose.

You don't wire cars, motorcycles or other 4 stroke engines why wire a Rotax?

Yes it takes a wrench to undo

Yes  I am Rotax trained and that is what I was taught.

I accept that in the US filters may not be wired but that does not mean all over the world . Different practise different places

It can do no harm and it gives some peace of mind .

I respect your opinion and standards in your end of the world .

You're right it does no harm. I meant no offense. I'm surprised it is taught there. It isn't taught here. I know it isn't taught in North America, Central America or South America, the Bahamas, Canada. I believe it holds true for Eastern Asia, Africa and at least parts of Europe and Saudi Arabia. I have met many of these people in classes and on the phone.

Here is a good time to ask a fun question.

Those of you here that live outside the US chime in if you safety wire your Rotax oil filters. I'll get admin to start a poll. This could be interesting. Like I said in another post I have seen a couple over the many years, but that's all. I'm sure there may be more and around the world. It will be interesting to see the untold story.

Haven't seen lockwire or hose clamps used on a rotax oil filter here in Aus.

Agree with the over tightening problem though,

I'd like to have a nickel for all the times I swore at those who tightened oil filters beyond specs!

I use oil filter pliers on all mine. You can grab the steel ring around the base without any damage to the filter. Do not grab the filter canister. You can easily put a small hole in the canister and or crush the canister against the filter inside which needs to be able move.

post-3-0-56196700-1481757395.jpg

I could be wrong, but I don't think that one will work on the CTSW.

The fit over the filter may be good, but I don't think there is enough room, at the end of the filter, to slip the tool on and off.

I tried a very similar tool and found that out myself. YMMV.

Beware of cheap, non-metallic oil filter wrenches that slip over the end of the filter.  Many of these wrenches are made of plastic and typically either the fluted surfaces or the 3/8th inch drive socket cannot handle the removal torque.  They are great for installing filters, but too weak for removal.  Anyways, that's been my experience.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that one will work on the CTSW.

The fit over the filter may be good, but I don't think there is enough room, at the end of the filter, to slip the tool on and off.

I tried a very similar tool and found that out myself. YMMV.

I was showing the style in the second link not the one specifically that fits.  I used one like it, but had to try several before finding one that fit.  The plier wrench Roger recommends looks like it would work but I would be afraid of crushing the old one and damaging the new one getting it back on again.  I do know you can't spin it 270 degrees by hand, ya gotta use a tool.

Lone Mountain has one of those strap types that squeeze the middle of the filter...It was an old one they got years ago and I could not find one like it that fit the small Rotax filter.  So would borrow their the first couple of oil changes I did.

I've been using those filter pliers for 15 years. I have only damaged 1 filter ever. The very first one. No one told me not to grab the canister. I put a pin hole in it. Have never had an issue since.

I have tried the caps that go over the filter. Most of the time the exhaust is too close. I even tried to modify it, but to no avail. 

I do know you can't spin it 270 degrees by hand, ya gotta use a tool.

I tighten by hand all the time using a rubber glove to help grip the filter. As long as the surface is oil free I could make a full turn if I wanted to. I always check to make sure it won't loosen up after the engine has been run up.

Archived