Magnetic plug?

Buckaroo

Roger after discussing the lockwire on filters at my local aero club today , it seems to be a non issue .

some do some do not and most do not care either way . So I guess I am in the minority on this one .

Should have guessed I would be the odd one out after all I land with full flaps all the time . 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It truly doesn't hurt anything it just isn't needed. If you feel better doing it then do it. When these filters get hot during run up they get tighter so unless you put it on lose you should never have an issue. I have never talked to anyone that has had one come off.

Here's the funny thing. Here we are talking about this and I had a guy come into the shop 2 days ago with a Zenith 701 on a trailer and no wings. Wanted me to look it over and do a carb clean and sync. He just got this out of dallas, TX and hasn't flown it yet. What did I see, but a wired oil filter. I told him this is what happens when you hang around old A&P's that don't normally work on a Rotax. This engine was a 80 h.p. 912UL, 2008 with about 100 hrs. 

Who would have thought.  :fainting-1344:  :laughter-3293:

Because the manufacturer says to? It is also a difference in contact material and surface. Since the filters are Rotax specific and they make neither provision or instruction for safety wiring, but do specify how to tighten it, I'll go with the specified procedure.

I tighten by hand all the time using a rubber glove to help grip the filter. As long as the surface is oil free I could make a full turn if I wanted to. I always check to make sure it won't loosen up after the engine has been run up.

There is a type of grease that is specified to be put on the gasket prior to spinning it on that makes hand turning the filter 270 impossible.  Roger probably knows the name of it, I don't have any now since I gave it to the new owner of the plane.  It comes in a tube.

There is a type of grease that is specified to be put on the gasket prior to spinning it on that makes hand turning the filter 270 impossible.  Roger probably knows the name of it, I don't have any now since I gave it to the new owner of the plane.  It comes in a tube.

Really? Rotax specifies clean engine oil for the filter gasket. Chapter 12-20-00 page 51 step 3 of the instructions in the 912 ULS LMM. It is the same chapter page 39 in the 912is LMM.

For Lycoming and Continental engines the common product to use is Dow Corning DC-4 compound. When I did my most recent Rotax training Eric Tucker Specifically said it DC-4 compound was not to be used, because it will alter the anti-foaming properties of the oil.

There is a type of grease that is specified to be put on the gasket prior to spinning it on that makes hand turning the filter 270 impossible. Roger probably knows the name of it, I don't have any now since I gave it to the new owner of the plane. It comes in a tube.

Where did this idea come from? It is not in any of the Rotax manuals or instruction classes. It says to just use oil.

Rotax Line Maintenance Manual states, "Apply a thin film of engine oil on the gasket of the new oil filter."

My guess is he got his info from the mechanics at Lone Mountain. They are the ones that installed the Tempest oil filter on his new CTLSi. Clearly another case of an A&P applying what is the industry standard for Lycoming and Continental to Rotax, and not knowing it was the wrong thing to do for the Rotax.

Because the manufacturer says to? It is also a difference in contact material and surface. Since the filters are Rotax specific and they make neither provision or instruction for safety wiring, but do specify how to tighten it, I'll go with the specified procedure.

"But then not lockwire a filter that you tighten by hand "

Completely different animals and reasons for torque.

Torqued correctly the mag plug won't come loose either. I have seen quite a few over the years not safety wired.

Yes I realise this , you missed that my post was meant to be light hearted . The other advantage of lockwiring it is human factor . When you lockwire something you automatically check it again before you wire it so even if you don't actually do it at least you have checked it a couple of times .

Archived