The CT's sitting a lot fuel care question?

Buckaroo

Remember guys sometimes there is more than one way to perform a function or product to use. One personal preference may not be the only one. This is why at times we have differing opinions so tolerance and understanding NEEDS to prevail. In other cases advice may not be 100% correct, but that's why we are hear. The learn have fun and interact to enjoy what we do and to understand all the particular issues that accompany our aircraft.

None of you are 21 years old any more so that old adage that with age comes wisdom!!!  That includes being a better person.  :ive_got_it-1379:  :clap-3332:

Where's Confucius when you need him. :fainting-1344:  :giggle-3307:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's encouraging to know she can handle it if needed!

Question? In Alaska bush piloting are Rotax 912 series popular or is the majority Lic and Cont? If they are what make of plane?

Didn't see your question until now.

I haven't lived in AK since 2004 so things may have changed.

During  my time living there (1962-2004 except my 3 years Army active duty 1968-1971) and being a licensed pilot since 1965, I never saw a Rotax powered airplane. There was an outfit at Birchwood Airport near Anchorage that was getting going with powered parachutes and ultra lights. This was during the 1990's. The owner was killed, a mid-air I think, and I don't know what happened to the business after that.

So, to answer your question, during my time there were few, if any, 912 powered airplanes in AK. The predominant engines were Lycoming and Continental with some Franklins thrown in for good measure. Probably still the case today.

There are a couple of CT owners on this forum who flew to, and in, Alaska not to long ago. Maybe they can comment on how many they saw. And comment on how many Rotax trained mechanics they ran across.

<<Also, be aware that the Rotax guidance changed recently, and now the only oil Rotax recommends for all fuel types is Aeroshell Sport +4 (semi-syn). Other oils will certainly work well, but they are not the recommended oil by Rotax.>>

What about AV-9 oil? Or, is this no longer available?  My airplane came with a case of it in late 2012. It's just about used up.

AV9 was specifically made for the old California Power Systems guys. The new CPS still had it on their website for $9.95 a qt. I'm not a fan of it as it because I don't think it has kept up with Rotax engine demands and never specifically tested for the 912..

Other oils work. The reason Rotax doesn't list other oils is that they just simplified things. They used to recommend other oils that they had personally tested. If they don't test them they don't recommend them. Oils around the world change additives and base stocks and Rotax can't keep up on those. They know Aero Shell Sport Plus 4 was specifically designed and had years of testing and tweaking to make it more specific to their engine so that's why they only list it any more. They know other oils are used around the world because not everyone has access to an oil like Aero Shell. There are some oils that aren't a good choice and even though won't cause an issue right away will cause excessive wear in the hundreds of hours to come.

Buying the Aero Shell is just as easy to get as most other oils. I usually order 3-4 cases at a time.

Archived