Bowlus taping the landing gear fuselage area?

Buckaroo

Thanks FlyingMonkey! Your post was just printed and will be handed over to my CFI to read. I can vision all of what you say and it relates to what I felt during my three landings. I did come in a little hot on one and ballooned twice on the 3 rd I added a little power to mellow the sink.

For lateral work someone on here might of been you suggested I line the center line up on the inside of my left leg and ignore the dash. That really helped!

All this makes total sense to me as it's all about physics. Ultralight aircraft with large elevator and short fuselage equals sensitive pitch tendencys. Then add in low energy retention equals an airplane that will turn into a rock quickly.

It just takes practice.  The plane is light and small and high wing and has a small nose that cannot be used to aim the plane on the centerline.  The POH is the  bible on all apsects of flight for the product. 

You will use 15 flaps most of the time, esp in calm conditions (higher flap settings are for short and soft fields).     Like any aircraft, the key is patience after leveling out then slowly and steadily pull the stick back into your crotch.  The plane will do the rest.   You should not need any power once over the numbers if your approach speed is correct and you are stable and on the correct glide angle (adjust for extra xwind of course).  I used 60-62kts over the numbers, the book says you can be a little slower at 58kts using 15 flaps.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It probably comes down to what does your insurance require, not only for you, but for the CFI you choose? If they require you to have a check out in the same make and model, seems like that would also apply to the CFI since you are just as qualified, if not more, than he is.

I'm reluctant to call the insurance company about anything! To me it's like calling the FAA about their guidelines to anything. I'm going to fly under the radar mostly.

It just takes practice. The plane is light and small and high wing and has a small nose that cannot be used to aim the plane on the centerline. The POH is the bible on all apsects of flight for the product.

You will use 15 flaps most of the time, esp in calm conditions (higher flap settings are for short and soft fields). Like any aircraft, the key is patience after leveling out then slowling and steadily pull the stick back into your crotch. The plane will do the rest. You should not need any power once over the numbers if your approach speed is correct and you are stable and on the correct glide angle (adjust for extra xwind of course). I used 60-62kts over the numbers, the book says you can be a little slower at 58kts using 15 flaps.

Good tips thanks!

I don't think that is a good approach. If you ever have an accident, they will start asking all the questions. If they determine you didn't comply with the requirements of your policy, they will not pay. If they require your CFI to be qualified in LSA or FD, or the exact make and model and he wasn't, they probably will not pay. It would be more than foolish not to comply.

PS: I have called the FAA many times with questions. Why not?

I don't like to involve them in my life!

My plan is to get my review out of the way and start flying the snot out of her. The review will be a distant old entry in a month. If there is a incident I'm sure my actions at that time will be under the microscope along with engine log books, the weather etc.

Just for the record, with regard to CTSW approach speeds, this is exactly what the CTSW Flight Training Supplement says:

"Approach speed about 54 kts. (100 km/h) with experience, a slightly slower approach speed can be used." (Page 3-5).

For me, this is right in line with how the airplane should be properly flown to landing.

An "over the numbers" speed of 60-62 knots, as one poster suggested, is way too high for the SW.

I use 52 knots for flaps 15 and 50 knots for flaps 30, under calm wind conditions (less than 3 kts). For gusty and crosswinds, I modify that some. Seems to work for me.

I think Andy's (FlyingMonkey), well thought out narrative (post #80), was excellent and I wholeheartedly concur.

60-62 knots over the numbers is way to high for the CTSW in normal circumstances. It will cause more problems than help during the flare and roundout phase of landing, not to mention the likelyhood of floating down the runway.

...and your logbook including all sign-offs and their qualifications. You seem to have a cavalier attitude about it. That could bite you in the rear someday. I will stop responding because it's your decision, not mine.

I appreciate all your posts so don't go away!???? Here in Montana we like to take care of ourselves. We tend to keep things as simple as possible.

Just for the record, with regard to CTSW approach speeds, this is exactly what the CTSW Flight Training Supplement says:

"Approach speed about 54 kts. (100 km/h) with experience, a slightly slower approach speed can be used." (Page 3-5).

For me, this is right in line with how the airplane should be properly flown to landing.

An "over the numbers" speed of 60-62 knots, as one poster suggested, is way too high for the SW.

I use 52 knots for flaps 15 and 50 knots for flaps 30, under calm wind conditions (less than 3 kts). For gusty and crosswinds, I modify that some. Seems to work for me.

I think Andy's (FlyingMonkey), well thought out narrative (post #80), was excellent and I wholeheartedly concur.

60-62 knots over the numbers is way to high for the CTSW in normal circumstances. It will cause more problems than help during the flare and roundout phase of landing, not to mention the likelyhood of floating down the runway.

My runway is 4000 foot so floating long is a consideration. Early training on a 10,000 foot runway would be ideal. My CFI guy if we ever get together will probably desire to go to Helena regional to learn these landings with all flap settings. Per our phone conversations he wants me to be proficient with all flap settings as I do to.

But how is violating the terms of your insurance coverage keeping things as simple as possible? I don't know what your policy requires. I'm just suggesting you follow it to the t.

That's a valid suggestion but I'd need a lawyer to decifer what is covered and not. I own the plane so I'll just take the remains to the dump!

My runway is 4000 foot so floating long is a consideration. Early training on a 10,000 foot runway would be ideal. My CFI guy if we ever get together will probably desire to go to Helena regional to learn these landings with all flap settings. Per our phone conversations he wants me to be proficient with all flap settings as I do to.

Ha, you are thinking in terms of heavier airplanes.  You could probably take off and land twice on a 4000ft runway at your elevation of ~3800ft.  I regularly lift off on the displaced threshold of my runway (see video) before I even get to the runway proper (elevation ~940ft).  If you are near the correct speed and touchdown anywhere in the first third of the runway then 4000ft is far more than needed even for a beginner in the CT. 

Here's a video from under the left wing of a landing using 15° flaps at my home field.  The runway is 5500ft long, and I hit the numbers very well.  You can see I easily make the first turnoff, which is literally *exactly* 1000feet from the runway threshold line, according to Google Maps (shows as 1000.00ft).  Even adjusting for your higher density altitude, you would have no trouble landing on a 4000ft runway, or even 3000ft.

EDIT:  The distance seemed short, so I double-checked.  I misread the distance, it's 1650ft to the first turnoff from the threshold line, and 1420ft from the numbers.  Still not a problem for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpRGSDhlAwk    

Ha, you are thinking in terms of heavier airplanes. You could probably take off and land twice on a 4000ft runway at your elevation of ~3800ft. I regularly lift off on the displaced threshold of my runway (see video) before I even get to the runway proper (elevation ~940ft). If you are near the correct speed and touchdown anywhere in the first third of the runway then 4000ft is far more than needed even for a beginner in the CT.

Here's a video from under the left wing of a landing using 15° flaps at my home field. The runway is 5500ft long, and I hit the numbers very well. You can see I easily make the first turnoff, which is literally *exactly* 1000feet from the runway threshold line, according to Google Maps (shows as 1000.00ft). Even adjusting for your higher density altitude, you would have no trouble landing on a 4000ft runway, or even 3000ft.

For grins when I was teaching I would take a student to Colorado Springs airport and so five touch and goes in one pass in a T41.

Alls I'm saying is a monkey with 3000 hours of teaching and flying like me with two miles of runway can get used to this airplane with all the tips I've received on this forum.

Now here at my home base airport with 4000 feet and obstacles and 40 foot wide not so much.

I picture with two miles of runway testing the flaps in ground effect would be real easy. As would soft and short field practice. If you have the go around instinct and understand airspeed entricacys how can you go wrong on two miles of runway?

I can only post videos here where everything goes perfectly, because it's a tough crowd here and they will find any flaw in technique and pounce on it.   :giggle-3307:

Alpha males, go figure.

Perhaps that is why most members never post anything.

Nice landing, Andy.

Buckaroo, I know a lot of folks have suggested a CT-savvy CFI checkout, and I think that is a very good idea.  But it also seems like you might ignore that advice and go fly the CTSW after your flight review.  No judgment about that, just an observation.

If you do that, some things that might help:

*  I find that the CTSW lands better slow than fast.  50-55kt over the numbers will usually result in a pretty good landing if you do your part.  You can go slower than that in calm winds, but I'd stick to 50-55kt until you get more experienced with the airplane.  60kt+ over the numbers can lead to a lot of float and a tendency to balloon in the flare.  Touchdown should happen about 45kt at 15° flaps.

*  Use 15° flaps setting for landing until you get comfortable. 

Good luck.

I'm not saying Andy is wrong, but I have flown quite a few CT's. On the airplanes with the Dynon display I would start with a little higher approach speed. I have noticed some differences between airplanes and how they react, that I think is related to the airspeed being off a little. 60 on final would be a good number until you get to know your airplane. Start you round out a little sooner, and make the transition happen a little slower to help reduce the ballooning when you are close to the ground. You can work your way up to the slower speeds on approach after you get a feel for the accuracy of the airspeed indication.

I'm not saying Andy is wrong, but I have flown quite a few CT's. On the airplanes with the Dynon display I would start with a little higher approach speed. I have noticed some differences between airplanes and how they react, that I think is related to the airspeed being off a little. 60 on final would be a good number until you get to know your airplane. Start you round out a little sooner, and make the transition happen a little slower to help reduce the ballooning when you are close to the ground. You can work your way up to the slower speeds on approach after you get a feel for the accuracy of the airspeed indication.

I like airspeed when in a unfamiliar airplane. Then as I get used to it start slowing things down. That's why a long two mile runway would be ideal for me. Coming in over the numbers a little hot and hold off in ground effect and learning the sight picture and handling with zero flaps and then working 15, 30 and 40.

What I really want to experience is full flap go arounds at max gross weight. At first this will be tested at altitude. Members have indicated that she will climb out just fine. I can picture this but need to experience the sink from 40 to 30 and 30 to 15. The sink is substantial from 15 to 0 in my opinion. The reason I'm interested in go arounds is we commonly have deer and antelope spring onto the runway.

I like airspeed when in a unfamiliar airplane. Then as I get used to it start slowing things down. That's why a long two mile runway would be ideal for me. Coming in over the numbers a little hot and hold off in ground effect and learning the sight picture and handling with zero flaps and then working 15, 30 and 40.

What I really want to experience is full flap go arounds at max gross weight. At first this will be tested at altitude. Members have indicated that she will climb out just fine. I can picture this but need to experience the sink from 40 to 30 and 30 to 15. The sink is substantial from 15 to 0 in my opinion. The reason I'm interested in go arounds is we commonly have deer and antelope spring onto the runway.

You can climb Vx without issue even at gross weight and DA below 3k easily even with 0 to 15 flaps.   The higher flap settings are used on short and soft fields and for those that like crawling over the runway near 40 kts and then doing a full stall landing.

I'm not saying Andy is wrong, but I have flown quite a few CT's. On the airplanes with the Dynon display I would start with a little higher approach speed. I have noticed some differences between airplanes and how they react, that I think is related to the airspeed being off a little. 60 on final would be a good number until you get to know your airplane. Start you round out a little sooner, and make the transition happen a little slower to help reduce the ballooning when you are close to the ground. You can work your way up to the slower speeds on approach after you get a feel for the accuracy of the airspeed indication.

There are multiple ways to successfully land a CT, no question.  I do know that my landings dramatically improved when I lowered my landing speeds; it make the floating and ballooning issues go away for me.  In calm winds and 30° flaps I sometimes have over the numbers speed as low as ~48kt.  60kt is fine as you turn final, but IMO it's too fast over the numbers, which is where I was saying 50-55kt is a good speed.  I like 57kt on base and 52kt on short final as ideal numbers at 15° flaps.  That's clearly not the only way of doing things.  I also fly very tight patterns and so if I'm at 60kt on final I probably will have trouble scrubbing that speed off and getting down without a big slip.

At some point you will have to be a lot slower than 60kt for touchdown, whether you do it as you turn final or five feet over the ground.  

I hate reposting this, because I'm not proud of it, but this might help you.  This video is a landing I made when I was still learning the airplane (and had less than 100hrs total time) at 30° flaps.  I touched down too fast (58kt over the numbers with 30° flaps is way too much) and with pressure on the right pedal.  Once the nosewheel gets some grip the airplane goes right, and I overcorrected with left pedal.  

You can't see it in the video, but the weight shift on the gear was pretty scary, it felt like the left main wheel was about to leave the ground.  So now I'm headed off the runway, right for a sign.  I'm afraid to use right rudder because the airplane is still unsettled and I'm afraid of the weight shifting back the other way and the airplane scraping a wingtip or flipping.  So I have to make a very fast decision -- I'm going to hit the sign, but I can either just take the impact or go full throttle and potentially miss the sign... if I don't get off the ground fast enough, the impact will be even worse. 

I went full power.  In the video you can see my speed is down to about 30-32kt.  As soon as I have the power in the airplane shoots up to about 42kt and pops into the air, right over the sign and I make a successful go around.  These airplanes fly and climb very well with full flaps, and the power to weight helps a lot with that.  That said, if I had had a passenger I probably would have been apologizing to them upside down on the other side of the sign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGtZF9oSMx8

I'm interested in setting a alarm for stall on my Dynon. The book is confusing on setting alarms. Anyone familiar with this procedure?

The Dynon stall horn is VERY quiet.  Did yours come with an AoA meter?  If so, you can try staring at that..    The CT doesn't stall easily...but it will drop to the pavement once you lose enough energy.

I'm interested in setting a alarm for stall on my Dynon. The book is confusing on setting alarms. Anyone familiar with this procedure?

D-100 or Skyview?  On a D-100 the only way to do it is to have the the AoA indicator enabled with a new AoA pitot tube (requires an MRA from Flight Design, $1500+), and even then it will be visual only because the D-100 doesn't have an audio output.

Honestly, you don't really need a stall warning in the CT.  It bothered be at first that I didn't have one, but the airplane has such docile stall characteristics that it lets you know well before the stall, and recovery from a stall is very quick.  I've never accidentally stalled mine, you'd kind of have to be asleep at the switch or doing something very ill-advised like 4g turns.

Archived