Pics of my engine for review!

Buckaroo

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. Non-rotax oil filter. It won't cause your engine to fly apart, but it's a sticking point if you start having engine problems; it's going to get blamed.

The magnetic plug safety wiring is also a bit odd, but still functional. Typically I wrap it around the crank case plug bolt, on this one its wrapped around a bolt on the gearbox.

The fuel pump is supposed to have a drain hose run. I rarely see it, but it's supposed to. If it doesn't get one, fuel will drip on the exhaust.

Springs on the exhaust are supposed to have safety wire wrapped on them for FOD control. I can't tell if they are there or not. It doesn't need any fancy twisting, just make a loop with one end through the middle and one on the outside.

Cowling might be rubbing the front right (cyl 1) exhaust pipe. Notice there is a hole in the header wrap.

The heat shield on the top hose attached to the fuel distribution block (clamped on the balance tube) is receeding. Not a big deal but just have a look.

Right carb choke cable is missing the shrink tube on the end and is unraveling.

Also, roger, don't write things like "right main tire was worn" in a logbook entry. It's for work performed, not reasons for performing it! :P It just adds a bunch of fluff that people down the line don't want to read!

Also, what the hell is with those compressions? 87/86? Is 87 your test pressure or your result? heheh

You should not link your entire Photobucket account on a public forum. Put the airplane pictures in a separate folder and link it. Unlink your personal folder. Too much information You will obviously fit in nicely on this forum with all the toys and guns.

It went up accidentally but that's ok! If people want to look at my boring life have at it. On the other hand if someone wants to come over and steal shit that's cool as well. I'm always locked and loaded!

Mr Skycatcher you sure worry a lot it seems! Lighten up and enjoy life! ????

Hey thanks! I hope you got yourself a few deadly semi automatic Ar's, M1a's etc! I hear moon beam is banning those Sunday and allowing young girls under 18 to go into prostitution legally. Also I think it's now legal in Kalifornia for dirty perverts to have consensual sex with 14, 15, ,16 year olds!????

I hope Trump defunds that state!

The gold standard in gold cups are the pre series 70's.

I guarantee this has been worked on since me. I don't use serrated hose clamps. Someone replaced the coolant hose clamps with theses. They removed some clamps because i don't carry some of those. The wrong oil filter, poor safety wire. I put safety wire and silicone on all exhaust springs. Someone pulled the fire sleeve on the fuel pressure line back or shortened this. I don't put fire sleeve on spark plug wires. Someone worked the fuel pump over. I use band-it clamps and someone else that worked on the used Oetiker clamps. Someone added two wires I would never use and spliced them.

Sorry, but someone else has altered your engine work and did their own thing. I think you need to point the finger at the last owner and or mechanic. Sorry, but whomever has worked on this engine over the last 5 years should give you the pause.

Corey,

Go to court and spend 30 years watching people get raked over the coals and you'll document better too. It isn't fluff when you are protecting yourself and the client if need be from legal ramifications that may come from any direction. I ran this all by the FAA before writing a paper and sent them 2 dozen examples. Most mechanics are in the bottom 10% of good documentation. Mine were rated right up there by Rotax and FAA.

I'll take fluff any day over the crappy logbook labels I usually see. If I'm the owner or prospective  buyer I want to know why something was changed not that just some mechanic wanted to throw parts at something. I want a paperwork trail to know if it just wore out or did it fail and see if there are any ongoing issues.

p.s.

87 is my test pressure. You're a young Rotax newbie. 87 was the test pressure since 1990 and until a few years ago then they allowed 80 too.. I'm still old school with 87.

p.s.s.

Patience Grasshopper, patience.  :eyebrow-1057:

The last logbook label I saw said a hose change was done and an annual and was in a safe condition for operation.  That's it. What side of this documentation do you want to fall on. When I was in the medical field the lawyers all will tell you document, document, document.

Let me make this crystal clear! Roger Lee is not at all remotely connected to any of the deficient work as seen in my pictures!

I will be posting about 8 subsequent log book entries showing other mechanics entries on those parts in question.????????

Go to court and spend 30 years watching people get raked over the coals and you'll document better too. It isn't fluff when you are protecting yourself and the client if need be from legal ramifications that may come from any direction. I ran this all by the FAA before writing a paper and sent them 2 dozen examples. Most mechanics are in the bottom 10% of good documentation. Mine were rated right up there by Rotax and FAA.

I'll take fluff any day over the crappy logbook labels I usually see. If I'm the owner or prospective  buyer I want to know why something was changed not that just some mechanic wanted to throw parts at something. I want a paperwork trail to know if it just wore out or did it fail and see if there are any ongoing issues.

p.s.

87 is my test pressure. You're a young Rotax newbie. 87 was the test pressure since 1990 and until a few years ago then they allowed 80 too.. I'm still old school with 87.

p.s.s.

Patience Grasshopper, patience.  :eyebrow-1057:

The last logbook label I saw said a hose change was done and an annual and was in a safe condition for operation.  That's it. What side of this documentation do you want to fall on. When I was in the medical field the lawyers all will tell you document, document, document.

What I'm saying is putting in the causes for doing the work is fluff. Documenting the actual work and references is not fluff! You can leave out the part about a tire being worn, just leave the part in that says you replaced it!

If you have warnings to a customer about a soon to be problem condition, you should NOT be doing so in a logbook entry anyways; most people don't even read them. You really should be doing that on a separate signed document! You need to prove that you brought the issue to their attention.

As for compression: I know 87 is what rotax originally recommended for test. I'm just yanking your chain for the non-standard way you wrote it. The industry standard is result over test (ex, 65/80, and examples are even in AC 43.13), whereas you wrote it test over result (80/65).

" most people don't even read them".

Ah, in lies part of the problem. This would be another mechanic example of mediocracy. Instead of being a mediocre mechanic why not rise above the norm. I ask everyone that I do work for to read mine when they get their plane back before I turn them lose. I ask them if they have any questions. I have them look at my discrepancy list then they are given along with the Rotax and aircraft Mfg checklist. The FAA saw no issues and their comments was it was better documentation that what is normally seen. The FAA's take on these entries is it's head and shoulders above the 3 liners. I guess it depends on where and who gave you your schooling.

Putting a warning or documenting an issue in the logbook protects you as a mechanic so someone can't say they weren't told or the owner fails to address the issue. It's the same thing as having a medical patient sign a release form when the go against medical advice. It shows you did not neglect to inform them. It shows you were diligent in your  inspection of the aircraft and why you thought it was an issue. 

I don't see better and more complete documentation as fluff. I see it as a cut above mediocracy..

After all the years in court and talking to all the lawyers no one will convince me or any medically experienced person to short their documentation. Showing due diligence in court and having everything written is all you have to protect yourself and or the client. Without that type of documentation the courts says it was never done and crying and saying you did doesn't cut it.

As the owner, next buyer or next mechanic I would want to know why tires were changed. Am I wearing them out every 100 hours, did the owner just want a different tire and nothing was wrong. How would anyone know if it isn't in print. If you put in print why the tires have worn then you can track what the cause was. Were the tires 400 hours old and worn from normal wear or are they wearing out from a bad alignment every 100 hours. If I sold the plane right after a tire change how would the next owner and mechanic know what to watch for. This goes for all parts. Why are you changing it should be in the book.

p.s.

I actually don't think the names of people should be displayed in logbook entries in general in public. Any issues with the people that enter these labels should be between the owner and mechanic or the FAA. When I write articles about logbooks and show real examples I always delete serial numbers, "N" numbers and names.

You're displaying for whatever reason the label and content and it shouldn't be about the person. 

I'll bet if log book entries with names were posted in public forums like this the documentation within those books would all of a sudden improve vastly!

When my work was audited I would be called before a panel and my work scrutinized for all to see. Then my work and file were put into public record. This can be embarrassing at times but it prompts one to cover their ass as Roger suggests!

My stuff never involved putting folks lives at risk.

Just saying!????

I've been to court many times over the years. I have had people go over my medical reports many times. I have never been raked over the coals and I have actually put people in jail because of them when they thought they were going to get off because a police officer did a poor documentation job.  I have had cases thrown out that needed to be thrown out and people win cases that needed to win. To me there is no fluff just better detailing. Even in the medical field people ask why I documented like I did. Those were the same people that got in trouble, lost their licence or got crucified in court. Never let someone talk you out of better documentation. Those were our 3 liners and people that left detail out because the court says if it isn't in writing it didn't happen. I know this from watching many a medical or police personnel get toasted on the stand. 

The only issue in the medical field is never write anything subjective or your personal opinion.  It should always be objective. Write just what you saw. Being subjective will tank you in a heartbeat. This isn't as much an issue with our books because we aren't dealing with the same absolutes, but could be over done. Your job as a mechanic is to notice and rectify any possible safety issues. It may not be broken yet, but will be shortly or lead to a dangerous situation. It's the mechanics job to see, document and rectify.

When I lost my Rotax engine that was 6 years old with 833 hours it was approved for replacement within 48 hours. The reason they gave was the  detailed logbook entries that they said they never see.

Archived