BRS repack

procharger

Thanks for the replies.  My 2006 CTSW had the BRS system installed in 2008.  Had the repack done in 2014 and will have the repack and rocket done now in 2020.  I'm hoping that by 2020 Roger Lee might be able to give us a good idea of how the rocket can be serviced.  Can't see "throwing out the baby with the bath water".  Throwing away the whole rocket when just the pucks need to be replaced seems wasteful to me.

Thanks for the replies.  My 2006 CTSW had the BRS system installed in 2008.  Had the repack done in 2014 and will have the repack and rocket done now in 2020.  I'm hoping that by 2020 Roger Lee might be able to give us a good idea of how the rocket can be serviced.  Can't see "throwing out the baby with the bath water".  Throwing away the whole rocket when just the pucks need to be replaced seems wasteful to me.

I'm confused...if your airplane is an '06, why was the BRS not installed until '08?  Was it a deployment or warranty replacement or something?

Hi Andy.  The previous owner elected to install a BRS system.  He did this in 2008.

But why would an owner have to install the BRS...didn't ALL CTSWs come from the factory with a BRS?  Or is your airplane an E-LSA, imported from a foreign country, or have some other uniqueness?  

Not trying to get "all up in your bidness", but Inquiring minds want to know!   :)

My plane is not imported nor E-LSA but it does have a "unique" history.  I believe the BRS may have been optional in "early" Flight Design aircraft but am not 100% certain when they stopped being optional and became standard equipment.  My CTSW did have the BRS installed at the factory.  Sometime in my CT's history, the BRS was removed.  I do not know what happened to the original BRS.  The plane was transferred, sans BRS, to a new owner.  Since the BRS was factory installed in my CTSW, this next owner was required to purchase and install a new BRS (total system, including the mounting bracket), in order to keep the plane airworthy.  I purchased the CT from this owner.  

I'm pretty sure they were not optional for the 2006 models. I knew a guy who took his out in a 2005  among a few other items and the FAA cited him with huge fines. He gave the plane to a Missionary and even paid for it to be brought back to new standards and then let them keep the proceeds. FD didn't allow you to remove the chute. Took them many years just to put out an LOA so you could fly without it during its maint. repack cycle. 

You sure your chute wasn't illegally removed back then?

Roger......the CTSW you describe was not a 2005.........it was a 2006.  I purchased my CTSW from a Missionary organization in Arizona.  You did the pre-buy inspection on it.  I'm not looking at your face to see if you're putting me on or you really don't remember?  Nah, I think you're putting me on.  Andy, you are very perceptive  ;)

Roger, you've worked on too many CT's since you helped me with mine in 2009 to remember.  Yup. The FAA didn't take kindly to having the BRS removed.  New Tribes did a great job reinstalling the BRS and getting the FAA to grant airworthiness.

Harold a hundred millionaire paid thousands in fines and thousands in bring the aircraft back to factory standards. If I have the name of the plane right he gave Husky 1 million to get their plane certified and bought the first 18 and gave them to missionaries. He was 86 back then he may have passed away or he's in his 90's..

Archived