BRS repack

procharger

Has anyone heard of any issues when repacking a chute, does anyone know

of a chute having to be replaced because of age. Mine is going on 10 years,

the rocket is due 2019 according to the BRS people? $1980 plus shipping to

get new rocket and repack.

Why a "new" rocket? Can't the original rocket motor be serviced?

Instructions for Removal and Continuous Airworthiness
BRS-1350 HS
for Flight Design GmbH CTSW  Issued  6-4-2012

Installation and field servicing of the BRS-1350HS must be performed by appropriately
licensed and authorized personnel in accordance with BRS CTSW Installation Instructions.

Annual/100 hr inspections must be performed by appropriately licensed and authorized
personnel in accordance with the instructions outlined in this specification.

2.1 BRS-1350HS Parachute repack interval. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .6 years
2.2 BRS Rocket replacement. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .12 years

These service dates are printed on placards on the sides of the Parachute Canister and
Rocket.

Airworthiness_SW.pdf

• 3 months later...

The rocket is a replacement. It can not be shipped assembled either as it is consider a bomb. It must be shipped in parts and assembled at its destination. It is easy to do. The old rocket is a throw away, but needs to be dismantled first. I have not heard of anyone that needed to replace the chute.

If you had a Cirrus aircraft its repack is around 12 years and it cost around $14K-$16K.

Where do you throw the rocket away? (I have six years to ponder that one.)

Give it to the local fire department, and let them play with it. It is my understanding from when I did my Flight Design training the fuel pucks will burn like a fast sparkler when not contained in the rocket housing.

If you come to me I want it or if you happen to remove it and are coming my way.

You can not ship an assembled rocket. It is illegal. 

If you are going to dispose of it just take it apart and throw it away. Local fire departments may not take it since they know nothing about them. That would be decided on an individual basis. 

I retired as the east side HazMat Captain with Tucson Fire. We did take a lot of things, but some were a little dicey. 

Hi Tom,

I haven't done a rocket yet. I just went over this with BRS. I would like to get several rockets. 2006 & 2007 were the big sales years for the CT so they are now just getting ready to be done.

When I get a few rockets I'll post a video of assembly, disassembly and my way of disposal. :)

If one might have someone local who is approved to assemble the rockets, wouldn't it make more sense to keep the original rocket motor housing, order just the solid fuel pucks, and have this assembled?  I would think that the housing might be fairly costly and there might be a cost savings to re-use the housing.  Further cost savings would be realized by only needing to pay for shipping the fuel pucks and not the whole assembly.

Hi Tom,

I haven't done a rocket yet. I just went over this with BRS. I would like to get several rockets. 2006 & 2007 were the big sales years for the CT so they are now just getting ready to be done.

When I get a few rockets I'll post a video of assembly, disassembly and my way of disposal. :)

Make sure to keep in mind CFR 65.107, (d).

Doug G. and Rich, you indicate that you have had your rockets serviced.  What are the names of the facilities that serviced your rockets? 

Roger, are you planning on becoming certified to service the rockets?

Back from when I did my Flight Design maintenance training I was under the impression that it would be a field operation to replace the fuel pucks. The process wasn't that difficult from what I remember.

Archived