TruTrak Digiflight II VS Calibration

We were having problems with our TruTrak and it went back to TruTrak for repair.  TT did a complete over haul of the unit, including install of  a new "mother board" in the unit.  We have now had it reinstalled in our CTSW.  Question.  It is ready to fly "out of the box" or do I need to "calibrate" or set it up some how before using it in flight.  If so, what might that entail? 

PS: TruTrak was excellent in its service and efficiency in solving our problems and getting the unit back to us quickly.  

Its been a while since I set mine up.  I believe, at a minimum, you will have to calibrate it with an airport compass rose or another true indicator of north-south-east-west.  The manual has the specific menu selection for doing so.  I do not know if you will need input the local magnetic field values obtained from the US Geological Survey.  

The following document tells you on page 3 the ground checkout procedure that must be followed before the first flight, as well as the first flight setup procedure on page 6:

http://trutrakap.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/DigiflightIIInstalManual1.pdf

You can try it out of the box with the default gain settings, but you will probably need to tweak them for best course tracking.  Mine tracks very well with no wander, I'll try to remember to get the gain settings the next time I'm at the hangar and post them to this thread.  Yours will probably need to be different, but it might get you closer.

A few years ago I sent my Trutrak in for a new screen. I wrote down all my settings beforehand. They updated my motherboard and screen and reloaded all my parameters. I double checked, and they all matched. I simply plugged it back in the panel and the plane (autopilot) flew great with no adjusting anything. Your result may vary, but it was plug and play for me.

As LSBruce indicates, (Hi Bruce!), TruTrak will reinstall the same parameters in returned units as they arrived with.  This was my experience too.  I still have my parameter spreadsheet which I have published previously and RHanson refers to.  The setups are for my Digiflight II.  I will leave my footnotes since these may provide added information that is useful for adjustment of one's TT AP.

trutrak ap settings_141112.xls

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived