It was hard to keep the engine warm today

Stacy

I think we are talking past each other a bit. You are saying that any airplane that can fit the Light Sport definition is a Light Sport airplane. Some are standard certificates others fall under the LSA manufacturing rules - SLSA and ELSA. Approaching the question from a different angle than I am used to hearing it, but I completely agree.

I think we are talking past each other a bit. You are saying that any airplane that can fit the Light Sport definition is a Light Sport airplane. Some are standard certificates others fall under the LSA manufacturing rules - SLSA and ELSA. Approaching the question from a different angle than I am used to hearing it, but I completely agree.

There you go, pretty much hits the nail on the head. It may be approaching from a different angle, but this is also the view that the FAA has.

When it comes to maintaining the airplanes it doesn't matter that they are light sport aircraft, but rather how they are certified. The FAA approaches that in a sense by saying a light sport aircraft with an airworthiness certificate issued in the light sport category to make the separation.

The FAA by it's own admission creates confusing messes...Part 23 for example became so muddled and cumbersome after years of 'changes' even the FAA had to completely rewrite the entire regulation.

Despite a plane being a certified or SLSA or experimental the general specs for an aircraft a Sport Pilot can fly (this includes both a licensed Sport Pilot or a pilot fly 'as a Sport Pilot') are:

Other than a helicopter or powered-lift that, since its original certification, has continued to meet the following:

Max. Gross Takeoff Weight     1,320 lbs (1,430 lbs for seaplanes)

Max. Stall Speed      51 mph / 45 knots CAS

Max. Speed in Level Flight (VH)     138 mph / 120 knots CAS

Seats    Two (max.)

Engines / Motors    One (max. if powered.)

Propeller    Fixed-pitch or ground adjustable

Cabin   Unpressurized

Landing Gear    Fixed (except for seaplanes and gliders)

Also, has a standard N number. 

Archived