CFI endorsement question.

Buckaroo

I'm a non current CFI without a medical. My CFI is going to check me out in my new CTSW 2007. I looked over part 61 and see several different endorsements. One for type another for flying into class b & c.

Can anyone list the log book entries he must make so I can fly legally? Thanks in advance!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a non current CFI without a medical. My CFI is going to check me out in my new CTSW 2007. I looked over part 61 and see several different endorsements. One for type another for flying into class b & c.

Can anyone list the log book entries he must make so I can fly legally? Thanks in advance!

The main difference between Sport Pilot and Private is you cannot fly at night, VFR day only, fly over 10,000 feet msl, fly into controlled airspace without a radio endorsement (this may affect you since as you say you did not have controlled airspace experience when you last flew), and fly faster than 87kts without a higher speed endorsement (this probably doesnt affect you).  And of course you must fly an LSA ( 2 seat, 1320 max gross).

All you need is a Flight Review.  You are and always will be a Commercial pilot.  Therefore, you don't need any of the Sport Pilot endorsements.  If you no longer have a current medical, you will be a Commercial pilot flying with Sport Pilot privileges and limitations.

You can read the Sport Pilot privileges and limitations as well as anyone.  Without an FAA medical you will be flying daytime, VFR, below 10,000 feet, LSA, 3 miles visibility, and visual contact with the ground.

You simply need a flight review and no other endorsements. You can look to CFR 61.315 for the privileges and limitations. You will have to follow them. Where they talk about required endorsements if you look at the underlying regulations for the endorsements they says if you hold a sport pilot certificate you need the endorsement. Since you hold a commercial pilot certificate you do not require any additional training or endorsements.

One more thing, you need a plastic pilot certificate. Since you have been out of flying for such a long time if you didn't get a plastic pilot certificate to replace your old paper certificate you must do so before acting as pilot in command.

I suppose he would have to get rated in single engine.  If he no longer had a medical, he could not take a Private or Commercial single-engine flight test, so he would have to obtain a Sport Pilot certificate, I THINK.

What if he also had a current physical? Then what?

What if he also had a current physical? Then what?

If he no longer had a medical, he could not take a Private or Commercial single-engine flight test, so he would have to obtain a Sport Pilot single-engine land endorsement on his Commercial.  That's exactly what I did when I got a Sport Pilot seaplane endorsement on my Commercial.

If he had a medical, he could take a flight test for Private or Commercial (his choice) single-engine airplane or he could do the Sport Pilot endorsement on his Commercial.  The Sport Pilot endorsement would be easier if that met his needs.  When I got my Sport Pilot seaplane endorsement at Jack Brown's, it was 4.9 hours of dual with one CFI followed by a .7 hour endorsement ride with another CFI.

I have my plastic card no problem there. I'm glad it's clear as to only needing a flight review.

Thanks for the valuable information everyone!

I started back flying 4 years ago after a 7 year layoff.  I got a 1 hour Flight review in a C172 followed by 2.5 hours of dual in a SkyCatcher.  I could have gotten the Flight review in the SkyCatcher but I was in NC for Thanksgiving when I decided to do the Flight review and they didn't have an LSA.

At lease one person here still does not seem to understand airspace.  All airspace is controlled airspace except class G.  Class G is, for the most part, from the surface to 700 agl or 1200 agl.  Above that is class E (unless B, C, or D).  Class E is controlled airspace.

Class A, B, C, and D are not new.  They were simply renamed with a few changes with the airspace reclassification back in 1993, I believe.

Class B used to be Terminal Control Area (TCA).

Class C used to be Airport Radar Service Area (ARSA).

Class D used to be Control Zone with a Tower.

There are still a few Terminal Radar Service Areas (TRSA) around.

Most of our flying is in Class E except when taking off from a non-controlled airport (Class G) or when flying in class B or C.  We don't fly in Class A.  Class B requires a clearance and class C requires radio contact with the controlling agency, normally Approach Control until handed off to tower.  Class D requires radio contact with the tower.

This is just a generalization.

I'm boning up on all this stuff for the oral portion of my review. My young CFI is young and eager! I need this anyway!

If you have not flown for years your review flight is going to be more complex.  As you know as a former CFI a review flight needs to determine if you have kept up with changes to the FAR since you last were in the air.  You will also need to demonstrate you can competently do the PTS maneuvers in the plane.  It's up to the CFI to determine if all the maneuvers need to be done or just a subset.    Flying as a Sport Pilot your CFI should question you on Sport Pilot privileges.  And that you understand you are more restricted than you were when you were flying as a Private and above.

Not necessarily.  Normally, a Flight Review will consist of steep turns, slow flight, stalls and recovery, and a few take-off's and landings. That's about all you can do in one hour and enough for the CFI to determine if you can safely fly the airplane. A Commercial pilot Flight Review will rarely include all the Commercial maneuvers.  The purpose of a Flight Review is to make sure you are a competent and safe pilot, not another Commercial flight test.

Gbigs, how many Private or Commercial Pilot Flight Reviews have you given or received?

Now, you will also need LSA transition training.  That could take as little as a couple hours or as much as 5 hours and would probably preceed and/or include your Flight Review.  By the time you feel comfortable with your LSA transition, you will have no problem with your Flight Review.

At lease one person here still does not seem to understand airspace.  All airspace is controlled airspace except class G.  Class G is, for the most part, from the surface to 700 agl or 1200 agl.  

I haven't flown out West, but I do know that when teaching ground school we have to discuss class G airspace going up to 14,500 feet. I know we don't see anything like that in our part of the country, but he might see that out there.

Ok for all you experts out there! What makes an aircraft turn?

Horizontal component of lift.

EDIT: Or you can add all of this if you want to be completely accurate:

So what really turns an airplane in flight

When the airplane is banked, the lift vector gets a horizontal component, and the tail down vector also gets a horizontal component. The latter is much smaller than the lift component but it has a longer arm and it is directed in the opposite direction. This creates a torque on the airplane but this is perfectly opposed by the horizontal component of lift associated with the banked wing. Again, the airplane simply makes a parallel move. However, the vertical component of lift is smaller than in level flight and in order to avoid losing altitude, the pilot has to compensate with a bit of back-pressure on the yoke. This increases both the lift and the horizontal components of the horizontal tail and makes the airplane pivot around the center of gravity. So it is actually the tail that pulls an airplane around in a turn. Remember the old saying that by pulling back on the yoke the nose goes up – at least initially. It's just that in this case the airplane is banked and the nose therefore moves in the direction of the bank.

Bingo! I remember one examiner I'd send my bright USAFA casts to for their private license would ask that. He told me he couldn't believe the aerodynamical math and equations these intelligent people would come up with along with huge explanations of aileron and rudder etc etc.

The thing he really wanted to hear was what Mr Skycatcher said.

Yup that's like wings vertical with straight level flight this sets a zero vertical lift situation. So what component keeps the aircraft in level flight?

Thrust equals weight.  I guess that would be the upward thrust, not the forward thrust.  The rudder would exert a downward force to help keep the nose pointed upward.

The model does have more thrust than weight, but that is not the key. The airplane has an 850mm wing span and is 1050mm long, but only weighs about 45 grams flying weight. Due to the light weight and a good balance between vertical and horizontal surface area, and a neutral C/G it will pretty much stay what ever direction it is pointed. If you roll into a 45° bank and add up elevator it does not make a normal turn. It will try to do a loop laying on a 45° axis.

The model is similar to this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLz5s73qNRE

Archived