CFI endorsement question.

Buckaroo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a flight instructor without a medical. I haven't taught in years. I'm not current and am waiting for a flight review to fly my CTSW. Once I gain experience and hours in my LSA what would it take for me to CFI in the light sport catagory?

Have kept you flight instructor rating current (renewal every 2 years) even though you have not been flying?

No I've been totally out of the CFI world for years. I just got my new CFI plastic card from the FAA. CFI 2186269

The normal process if you have let it lapse is to do a reinstatement check ride with a DPE. FastEddieB here on the forum just went through the process not long ago. While he had not been out of flying, he had let his flight instructor privileges lapse.

On the back of the card when does it say it expires??

§ 61.56 Flight review.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs ( (bb) and (ff) of this section, a flight review consists of a minimum of 1 hour of flight training and 1 hour of ground training. The review must include:

(1) A review of the current general operating and flight rules of part 91 of this chapter; and

(2) A review of those maneuvers and procedures that, at the discretion of the person giving the review, are necessary for the pilot to demonstrate the safe exercise of the privileges of the pilot certificate.

A REVIEW of current general operating and flight rules in part 91 is NOT TRAINING in the sense that the pilot is being taught the concepts for the first time (or training in new concepts or new flying skills).  This is typical of the legaleze in a FAR and the intent of the FAA.  The FAA has written a guide and several ACs regarding how to conduct a BFR and what to expect.  In it, they compare the BFR to a medical exam...a proficiency and skills CHECK, not a training exercise.

FAA Flight Review.pdf

Dual is a term that is used synonymously flight instruction. CFR 61.56 specifically requires a minimum of 1 hour of flight instruction and one hour of ground instruction. When the flight review is finished and it is time to log the flight you may, if you held a current flight review at the time log the flight as PIC, but it MUST be logged as flight training per 61.56. There are times that it must be logged both ways, for example if a flight instructor who did not have a medical were to give you a flight review in your Cirrus while you were still current, the flight would need to be logged as both PIC and flight training.

Thanks for correcting the record . . . again!

§ 61.56 Flight review.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs ( (bb) and (ff) of this section, a flight review consists of a minimum of 1 hour of flight training and 1 hour of ground training. The review must include:

(1) A review of the current general operating and flight rules of part 91 of this chapter; and

(2) A review of those maneuvers and procedures that, at the discretion of the person giving the review, are necessary for the pilot to demonstrate the safe exercise of the privileges of the pilot certificate.

A REVIEW of current general operating and flight rules in part 91 is NOT TRAINING in the sense that the pilot is being taught the concepts for the first time (or training in new concepts or new flying skills).  This is typical of the legaleze in a FAR and the intent of the FAA.  The FAA has written a guide and several ACs regarding how to conduct a BFR and what to expect.  In it, they compare the BFR to a medical exam...a proficiency and skills CHECK, not a training exercise.

If you would read just a few lines past you doctor analogy you would see that just as the doctor develops a plan to keep you healthy, just as a CFI develops a training plan to bring you back to a safe level of proficiency.

I have been an active CFI since 1990. I may have more time performing flight reviews than you have total time. With the possible very rare exception, and I can't think of any, there hasn't been a pilot yet who did not need a little training to bring them back up to minimum standards. Some require more than others. Pilots tend to get lazy and not practice the basic flying skills needed to be safe in an airplane.

A flight review is logged as dual in the log book of the person receiving the flight review. This is logged by the CFI administering the review. It can also be logged as PIC if the receipant is legal to act as PIC. There can be 2 PIC's when a CFI is on board acting as CFI. The CFI logs this as PIC and flight instruction given in his own logbook. I have done hundreds of these over the past many years.

Archived