Pedals unbalanced

CT2K

Hi Guys,

First of all, may I take the chance of this post to extend my warmest wishes for this new year, to you, and to all those who are dear to you.

When about my question, it is regarding pedals and foot control. On my CT2K the left pedal on the pilot side is stretching quite importantly forward instead of standing upright. It doesn't give the feel of anything lose.

It is setup so forward that when I taxi, the left tip of the pedal hits the inside of the fuselage should I have to turn left.

In flight, slides on that side are very light because the pedal tip gets stopped by the inside of the fuselage.

Would it be possible/easy to adjust this situation according to the experts out there, please?

Kind Regards.

Is this problem something that changed, or has it been that way since you got the airplane?

If has changed has it been over time or rapidly?

Did the change happen after maintenance?

The problem can likely be fixed, but not knowing the reason could be a problem. In other words is the cable failing or is something broke or breaking, or did someone simply set it up wrong during maintenance?

Hi Roger. Appreciate your prompt reply. My pedal is not bent al all. It is just stretching forward instead of standing upright.

What does 'stretching foward' mean.  How about a picture. 

I have seen a training CT with bent pedals.  The explanation was the instructor pushing to correct and the student fighting it and pushing the opposite. 

What does 'stretching foward' mean. How about a picture.

I have seen a training CT with bent pedals. The explanation was the instructor pushing to correct and the student fighting it and pushing the opposite. Have someone stand outside the plane on a level service and another press the pedals even. If the rudder on the vertical stabiler moves from center then you may have a pushrod issue.

You have never worked on a CT. The rudder is not moved by push rods. Nice guess though.

Let's get back to Roger's questiion "are both sides favoring a position which is not vertical or is just one side doing this?"  If one side is vertical and one side is up near the firewall, the rudder tube which has no joints and is rigidly connected to the LH and RH pedals could be bent.  There was a time when the CTLS rudder tube was too thin and if one put too much force while turning during taxi, this tube could be bent to such an extent that the pedal would hit the firewall and the whole rudder had to be removed and repaired.  I believe FD increased the tube thickness to prevent torsionally bending the tubes.

Apologies for the late reply,, the usual time diffrence Europe-US.

I am new to this site and to the forums but I have to say the number and content of your contributions to my question is definitely heart warming.

-Is this problem something that changed, or has it been that way since you got the airplane?

It has been that way since I got the airplane second hand.

-Did someone simply set it up wrong during maintenance?

Most likely.

-Are the pedals misaligned on both sides?

Didn't know the pedals are the same piece that goes all the way through on both sides. I will have to check during weekend.

-How about a picture?

Will be able to do that during weekend.

What does 'stretching foward' mean. How about a picture.

I have seen a training CT with bent pedals. The explanation was the instructor pushing to correct and the student fighting it and pushing the opposite. Have someone stand outside the plane on a level service and another press the pedals even. If the rudder on the vertical stabiler moves from center then you may have a pushrod issue.

Just for the record, the rudder is repositioned via cable connection.

The nose wheel is repositioned via steering rod connection.

Aileron controls employ push-pull tubes.

"Pushrods" are integral components in conventional reciprocating engines.

Just for the record, the rudder is repositioned via cable connection.

The nose wheel is repositioned via steering rod connection.

Aileron controls employ push-pull tubes.

"Pushrods" are integral components in conventional reciprocating engines.

Yes as I indicated the guy should be checking his rudder linkages....and none of your comment is directed toward helping the questioner but seems to have some other agenda....

This one is important to understanding what may be going on.

-Are the pedals misaligned on both sides?Didn't know the pedals are the same piece that goes all the way through on both sides. I will have to check during weekend.

On the CTSW, the pedals are a 4-piece mechanism. Both left pedals are connected together and both right pedals are connected together. See CT2K/CTSW Parts & Assembly Manual Release 5, page 265 (exploded view).

Yes as I indicated the guy should be checking his rudder linkages....and none of your comment is directed toward helping the questioner but seems to have some other agenda....

How's about we just stick with accurate information.

When CT2K answers Roger's question, we will know.  If we get a report back that the Pilot's LH pedal is up near the firewall and the passenger's LH pedal is upright, he's got a bent rudder tube which inter-connects the pilot and passenger left pedals.  Both pedals can only move with one another.  If the pilot's LH pedal is pushed forward, the passenger LH pedal must move equally forward.  Same goes for the pilot and passenger right rudder pedals which are inter-connected by their common tube. 

Yes, the strange thing at this point is that he has not mentioned the rudder or nosewheel not centering. Points to bent pedals. Either that or something is really wrong like stretched cables or the turnbuckles in the tunnel are very loose (should be safety wired - so that is unlikely).

Yes, this is speculation which will soon be cleared up.

@ Doug: "..he has not mentioned the rudder or nose wheel not centering"

Yes both of them are. I don't find a pb flying straight or taxying straight from the moment that my left foot is more forward than my right foot.

@All: This situation doesn't give the feel of anything loose or disconnected. I did long trips with this airplane, the longest was 13 hours long with three stops, with some aggressive turbulence over a mountainous area, so I guess if there was anything wrong I could have felt it.

I had the chance to fly with other pilots sitting on passenger seat and who took control. This showed that the airplane is perfectly controllable from both seats without problem and all connections seemed tight.

The only thing is that I never compared with the positioning of foot controls from passenger seat, but since we could get more pronounced slides from passenger seat than from pilot seat, this lets me to think that controls are most likely upright on that side.

I promise to upload a picture as early as this weekend.

Again thanks to all of you for your time and your concern.

CT2K, your comment:

"The only thing is that I never compared with the positioning of foot controls from passenger seat, but since we could get more pronounced slides from passenger seat than from pilot seat, this lets me to think that controls are most likely upright on that side."

Leads me t believe that the pilot's LH pedal is positioned more forward towards the firewall and provides less rudder travel than the passenger's LH pedal.  This indicates that the rudder pedal or tube has been bent.  If this is the case, this can be repaired but it is not an easy thing to do.

CT2K, your comment:

"The only thing is that I never compared with the positioning of foot controls from passenger seat, but since we could get more pronounced slides from passenger seat than from pilot seat, this lets me to think that controls are most likely upright on that side."

Leads me t believe that the pilot's LH pedal is positioned more forward towards the firewall and provides less rudder travel than the passenger's LH pedal.  This indicates that the rudder pedal or tube has been bent.  If this is the case, this can be repaired but it is not an easy thing to do.

Removing the pedal for repair is easy if you have arms like a monkey, with eyes in the fingertips. :eyebrow-1057:

..pilot's LH pedal is positioned more forward towards the firewall and provides less rudder travel than the passenger's LH pedal.

Describes the situation as it most likely is.

..this can be repaired but it is not an easy thing to do.

This is exactly what I am after, but the statement is rather vague for a non technical guy like myself. Would you be able to develop a little more, please?

If the pedal is bent it will need to be removed from the airplane and repaired or replaced. Removal and installation back in the airplane is difficult, because of the location of the fasteners involved. Many of the fasteners are deep down in the tunnel and had to reach.

I had the pedals out of a CTSW once for a composite repair. I had removed the mushroom first, and removing the pedals was still a difficult task.

Archived