Cold air

Tip

This is my ninth winter flying my LS and I seem to have something new going on. There seems to be an extra amount of cold air pushing up through the throttle / choke plate and the trim wheel openings. I tighten up the steering rod boots & even taped the drain holes on the belly. Matt looked @ it and thinks that the cold could be coming in around the heater hose where it goes through the firewall pressurizing the tunnel. Is there a seal of some sort around that scat hose?

I'll look & seal around it. I might have moved it out of place with the hose change, but that was 3 years ago. The bottom of the throttle lever is 40 degree due to a constant air flow at 25 degrees oat. Thanks Roger!

Cool air does not have to come from the front. Cool air can come from the tunnel below and behind you.

I could fly my plane when it was in the single digits outside with only a short sleeve shirt and jeans on. Yes there was a tad of cool air coming up around the throttle, but very little.

The key is sealing up the cabin and making sure you air intake up front is aligned and making sure the air box door opens and closes fully.

Hey Dick,

I've been to Sebring when it wasn't too warm.....

Roger,

Matt & I have foam panels that we tuck in behind the seats (both LS models). The wing root holes are all taped and the headliner is sealed up. The heater flap is all the way open (95 degrees at the defuser). I have flown it at 22 below zero and we about froze on that hour and a half flight. I plan on sealing aroun the heat hose.

Archived