Ign. Coil check

procharger

800-1000 rpm drop is an ignition module. 300-400 is just a single plug.

First change the plugs. Unscrew the plug boots and trim the wire end back 3/8" then screw it back on then do your mag check. Then we can go from there. These two items are the most common cause.

You can while you have the plug caps off Ohm out the 5K resistor in the cap with a meter.

I have heard that carb problems can be affected by selection of ignition modules and I'm I'm trying to understand this. Let's assume this is a carb problem.  Procharger says the rough running seems to show up when ignition #1 is selected but goes away when ignition #2 or "both" is selected.  Would the carb come in to play by allowing a lean mixture to enter the cylinders and, even though there isn't an ignition problem, when #1 is selected, would the lean swirl pattern of fuel fail to be adequately ignited due to the location of the plugs fired by ignition #1? 

I have heard that carb problems can be affected by selection of ignition modules and I'm I'm trying to understand this. Let's assume this is a carb problem.  Procharger says the rough running seems to show up when ignition #1 is selected but goes away when ignition #2 or "both" is selected.  Would the carb come in to play by allowing a lean mixture to enter the cylinders and, even though there isn't an ignition problem, when #1 is selected, would the lean swirl pattern of fuel fail to be adequately ignited due to the location of the plugs fired by ignition #1? 

That is what I would guess. I would describe it as having to do with the position of the firing sparkplug in relation to the intake valve. I have seen the same thing happen on standard aircraft engines.

Archived