New Rotax Service Instruction SI-912-025

Runtoeat

A couple of questions regarding the new Rotax cylinder head torque instruction.

I'm wondering if it might be good to check cylinder head torques next time I have my valve covers removed?  My thinking is the torque has probably relaxed over the years and it wouldn't hurt to check this.

Should the cylinders be totally loosened or could I just start at the 265 in-lb check and go forward from there?  If this is done, can the cylinder heads be re-torqued without loosening the intake manifolds?  I would think the re-torquing would not result in any noticeable movement of the cylinder heads so the alignment of the heads to the intake would not be significant. If the cylinder heads are loosened, I would imagine that the intake would need to be loosened and a alignment plate would need to be installed to maintain proper intake/head alignment?

Unless you have a leak or have to remove a head I would leave well enough alone.

IF  you decided to do this then you could loosen two corner nut per cylinder at a time. Then once those two were done then you the other two until all four cylinders are done. If you do this loosen them up all the way.

p.s.

Leave well enough alone. :duh-1007:

Hi Roger.  Thanks for the reply.  Judging by your emoticon, it appears you may have read the remark on my profile.  It's a disease I have to try to fix things that ain't broke. I've always taken your advice and will do so in this instance too.  (I sure would like to see what the torque is on my cylinder bolts though  :eyebrow-1057: )

take it apart Wed. little oil residue around push rod tube at top little between

cyl. and head at top,not really leaking just a little wet, get a little residue between

top  and bottom cowling near front number 2 cyl. like its almost a mist of oil

for lack of better description.

Archived