Miniature ADS-B Transciever

gbigs

The real solution for drones is for them to be detected via ADS-B.  And here is a company that has developed a product that may fill that need.

Palo Alto-based uAvionix has an ADS-B transceiver the size of a contact lens — and weighing 1 gram.

http://www.flyingmag.com/palo-alto-firm-unveils-miniature-ads-b-transceiver?cmpid=enews020217&spPodID=030&spMailingID=27735649&spUserID=NDcyODMyMzM0MjUS1&spJobID=980390607&spReportId=OTgwMzkwNjA3S0

post-940-0-74232900-1486077556_thumb.jpg

What's the point of a transceiver so small that it's hard to handle and if you drop it you likely will never find it?  Just because you can build something smaller doesn't mean you should.  There is a law of diminishing returns on size, and I think for an ADS-B box the tipping point is about "pack of gum" size.  Just IMO, of course.  

What's the point of a transceiver so small that it's hard to handle and if you drop it you likely will never find it?  Just because you can build something smaller doesn't mean you should.  There is a law of diminishing returns on size, and I think for an ADS-B box the tipping point is about "pack of gum" size.  Just IMO, of course.  

Andy, as the article says it is for the drone market. As commercial drone usage continues to ramp up it is going to be an issue. I can see the FAA making these a requirement for operations of commercial drones in and near certain busy airspaces.

Andy, as the article says it is for the drone market. As commercial drone usage continues to ramp up it is going to be an issue. I can see the FAA making these a requirement for operations of commercial drones in and near certain busy airspaces.

Oh!  I didn't see the drone part.  That makes sense, they have a very low useful load and space.  :)

Archived