Aero Classic 4.00x6 6 ply tires

Tom Baker

I have experienced the exact same thing that Tom has pictured on at least 3 tires now.  I also balance the same way that he does (tire/wheel fully mounted) but, you do need to be sure the brake pads are not rubbing (Marc brakes).  Have done this several times now and it seems to work very well.  These tires are definitely very soft, not always of the best quality, and I have not seen one that didn't need some weight to balance.

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Anticept said:

Once again:

When you order from desser, tell them to balance the tires. I am not sure what they do, but when I tell them that, the tires come in with next to no imbalance. The difference was night and day.

I did that and it did not work.

I am convinced Wilkerson is a much better option for the larger sizes.

When I sent my tire back for exchange, the guy who handled this told me that he would request a balance check on the tire they would be sending me for replacement. This tire did arrive with a good balance. He also told me to request a balance check next time I ordered tires.  It looks like Bill did request a balance check and didn't get it.  Seems like it is kind of a "hit or miss" situation to get a decent balance on a tire at Desser.  If one should buy a badly out of balance tire and can't find enough space to put weights and/or can't afford to wait sending it back for replacement, here's a suggestion.  Get a "boot", which is a large rubber patch the tire stores glue on the inside of the tire to fix flats. Temporarily mount the tire and mark the position of the tire on the rim.  Determine where and how much imbalance there is.  Mark the heavy spot on the tire.  Remove the tire, install a "boot" of a size needed to offset the imbalance 180 degrees from the heavy spot on the tire.  Very few, if any, weights will be needed to balance the tire when it is installed.

5 hours ago, Runtoeat said:

When I sent my tire back for exchange, the guy who handled this told me that he would request a balance check on the tire they would be sending me for replacement. This tire did arrive with a good balance. He also told me to request a balance check next time I ordered tires.  It looks like Bill did request a balance check and didn't get it.  Seems like it is kind of a "hit or miss" situation to get a decent balance on a tire at Desser.  If one should buy a badly out of balance tire and can't find enough space to put weights and/or can't afford to wait sending it back for replacement, here's a suggestion.  Get a "boot", which is a large rubber patch the tire stores glue on the inside of the tire to fix flats. Temporarily mount the tire and mark the position of the tire on the rim.  Determine where and how much imbalance there is.  Mark the heavy spot on the tire.  Remove the tire, install a "boot" of a size needed to offset the imbalance 180 degrees from the heavy spot on the tire.  Very few, if any, weights will be needed to balance the tire when it is installed.

This is excellent advice and it works. I have done this a number of times on light truck tires because it is hard to get the weights to stay on  truck rims when in severe use.

My Aero Classics are 6x600 and I have never switched.  I think they look right, to hell with anything else :)

Funny thing is my current set has lasted as long as 3 sets used to last me.  Not sure why at all. Have to blame improved landings and minimum speed I guess.  (All the talking about landings that we have done has sharpened my focus plus flying 3 days a week keeps me on top of what is left of my game)

Ed, your comment "keeps me on top of what's left of my game" was good.  I can relate.  After about 1,755 landings, my Desser 6.00-6 "Monster" tires started to wear a little uneven.  I have flipped them on the rims and am ready for many more landings-if they don't dry rot first! 

Archived