Worst CT fuel filter clog I have seen

Worst CT fuel filter clog I have seen. This was found at hose change. I can't believe this was flying at full throttle. It looked like tiny twigs and leaf material. Must have come from a fuel filling.

This was a big reason I made my own fueling rig with an industrial fuel filter attached (see photo)...the new owner could not believe how fast and clean fueling from the trailer was....

post-940-0-01681100-1486944327_thumb.jpg

gbigs, it sounds like you are saying this happened to you, or that you had seen it before and then decided to get your fuel trailer. Or, were you, for whatever reason, afraid any other fueling practice you might have used would be this bad? I don't quite understand your reasoning. You know I use a different method and I have not seen anything in my filters.

It is my guess that it may have come from a small field tank, or a fuel cap left off with the plane parked in the open.

Roger, have you got any sense of what may have happened from the owner?

My last two year filter cleaning showed a few sand grain sized bits of debris, that was it.

That almost looks like tobacco...maybe a lineman spit out his Skoal into the fuel tank?   :giggle-3307:

I saw a mess of stuff like that come out of the nozzle for the sump pump on our big fuel tanks one time. I figure some critter packed the stuff into the end of the hose. There is no reason that couldn't happen with any pump nozzle, or spout on a fuel jug. I always take a peek in the end of the nozzle before I start pumping fuel from it.

There are a couple of stations close to the airport that don't see a lot of business. I tend to avoid them thinking that they don't sell much premium fuel at all and that it would sit in the tank for a long time. At the places I do buy at I have used a Mr. Filter and never found water. I have used a fine mesh filter and never found debris. I would be more concerned about some of the self serve 100LL tanks at some of the small airports. I wonder how often they are checked for debris.

There are a couple of stations close to the airport that don't see a lot of business. I tend to avoid them thinking that they don't sell much premium fuel at all and that it would sit in the tank for a long time. At the places I do buy at I have used a Mr. Filter and never found water. I have used a fine mesh filter and never found debris. I would be more concerned about some of the self serve 100LL tanks at some of the small airports. I wonder how often they are checked for debris.

Doug, there should be a pretty fine screen in the nozzle. Both our 100LL and JetA have screens. The filter systems are designed to shut flow down if there is water in the fuel. The one area you really need to watch out for is in the end of the nozzle, and you can look there.

Doug, there should be a pretty fine screen in the nozzle. Both our 100LL and JetA have screens. The filter systems are designed to shut flow down if there is water in the fuel. The one area you really need to watch out for is in the end of the nozzle, and you can look there.

Thanks, that is certainly something to be aware of, especially at small, lightly used airports.

Archived