Wing Root tape tip

I'd like a video showing how to tape the underside of the wing gap, along the door.  I always end up leaving that area without tape, because I made a wrinkled mess of it when I tried it.  The tape needs to either be offset there or folded 90° along the aircraft side above the door.  

Not taping it has been fine, but I know some people tape it and I'm very curious how they do it successfully.

Andy, recently I've also left the tape off due to the hassle of getting it applied correctly "down under".  If I have a lot of patience I'll apply the tape underneath but it takes many "pull backs" and "reapplies" to get it to look OK.  One thing I use is an old push on wedged eraser on the end of a pencil to push the tape into the wing/fuselage gap while feeding it with the other hand.   The eraser wedged tip is old and dry and slips along the tape, pushing it up into the gap where one's finger will "stick" to the tape and one's fingernail will many times cause a crease of even tear the tape.  I also tuck a thin (about 1/8" thick) piece of foam about 3/8" wide X 6" long into the gap at the leading edge until it's flush with the surface to provide a backing for the tape and to keep the tape from wrinkling here.  Then apply the double layer of tape as Roger's video shows.

Hi Andy,

Maybe you might be to critical of your work underneath. I just use the leading edge of my little finger and only pull out about 6-8" of tape at a time. I think the key is just to make sure you get it started right at the front of the wing. I do pull back a couple of inches now and then.

Flying around Australia is on my bucket list.  Unlikely though since I'm a Sport Pilot here in the States, which is not an ICAO rating.

We have a certificate here in Aus.which is an equivalent and issued by Recreational Aviation Australia. It is a member funded body set up to administer the light end of flying up to 600kg.

I think that you would not have much trouble gaining one of these pilot certificates. Although this certificate would not cover CTA airspace we have lots of uncontrolled airspace in which you could

play to your hearts content,   

We have a certificate here in Aus.which is an equivalent and issued by Recreational Aviation Australia. It is a member funded body set up to administer the light end of flying up to 600kg.

I think that you would not have much trouble gaining one of these pilot certificates. Although this certificate would not cover CTA airspace we have lots of uncontrolled airspace in which you could

play to your hearts content,   

Great to know, thanks!  Maybe I can make it happen after all...

Archived