Flying in rain

cdarza

Boy it sure does!  I wish some people would quit lying and cheating about what the FARs say and how to apply them!   :ph34r:

Concur. I also wish some people would quit posting misleading information, and then when they are called out, they disappear from the thread completely, only to reappear a short time later and repeat the cycle.

Very annoying and just flat out impolite. :ph34r:

Speaking as someone rated by the FAA to maintain, inspect and calibrate AWOS stations, I can say that it's entirely possible for an AWOS to report light rain and better than 3 SM visibility.

The point is not can there be virga or light rain and still have VMC.  The point is flying in IMC (less than VMC conditions) is verbotten for non-instrument equipped LSAs and/or non-instrument rated pilots.  And the correct way to determine that is to read the METARS & TAFS and weather.gov products before flying.    And if there is rain in the vacinity the chances of low visibility, low ceilings, clouds and mountain obscuration will more than likely be present.

The link I gave to the discussion was started by an instrument pilot who reported two incidence of contact with ATC where he was given a traffic advisory about VFR traffic flying in the clouds at or near his altitude.  If true, the VFR pilots were violating regulations and creating a hazard to all others in the air.

The point is flying in IMC (less than VMC conditions) is verbotten for non-instrument equipped LSAs and/or non-instrument rated pilots.

Are you implying if my LSA is instrument equipped and I have an instrument rating, I can legally fly my LSA in IMC conditions?

And the correct way to determine that is to read the METARS & TAFS and weather.gov products before flying. And if there is rain in the vacinity the chances of low visibility, low ceilings, clouds and mountain obscuration will more than likely be present.

Well, duh! That may be a jewel of aviation wisdom for you, but for many of us, it is common knowledge in the aviation community. Tell us all something we don't already know.

The link I gave to the discussion was started by an instrument pilot who reported two incidence of contact with ATC where he was given a traffic advisory about VFR traffic flying in the clouds at or near his altitude.  If true, the VFR pilots were violating regulations and creating a hazard to all others in the air.

That's possible. On the other hand, what flight visibility and cloud clearance did the "VFR pilots" have in question?

i think we all know the VFR weather minimums including visibility and cloud clearances. I believe almost everyone here is a licensed pilot. Many here are Sport Pilots or flying with Sport Pilot limitations so they are known also. Why do you continue to post in such a condescending manner when most here are more qualified and more experienced.

I did not start this thread - "Flying in The Rain".  And made no reference to anyone in specific.   But i do object to anyone flying in IMC in an SLSA like the CT that is not equipped for it or being piloted by anyone without an instrument rating.   I didn't do it when I owned the CT and I hope no one else is doing it either.

I did not start this thread - "Flying in The Rain".  And made no reference to anyone in specific.   But i do object to anyone flying in IMC in an SLSA like the CT that is not equipped for it or being piloted by anyone without an instrument rating.   I didn't do it when I owned the CT and I hope no one else is doing it either.

Point to a SINGLE post where somebody advocated flying in IMC in an LSA.  You can't because it never happened in this thread.  This is the same familiar pattern of making a wrong-headed statement, getting called out on it, and then backing up and taking the other other side of an argument nobody ever made.

Point to a SINGLE post where somebody advocated flying in IMC in an LSA.  You can't because it never happened in this thread.  This is the same familiar pattern of making a wrong-headed statement, getting called out on it, and then backing up and taking the other other side of an argument nobody ever made.

Flying in the rain is flying in IMC if the weather in less than VFR minimums.  Here are the rules: https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/courses/content/25/185/vfr%20weather%20minimums.pdf

I made that point from the start and now repeat it in case it wasn't clear.

Yes, if conditions are less than VFR minimums, the conditions are IMC.  Regardless of what the weather and sky condition is.  What else could they be, if they are not VMC?  There are only two choices, if they are not one then they are the other.  Seems self-explanatory, and I think all of us know this.  

Presenting all of this to a forum almost entirely composed of licensed pilots is like going onto a baseball forum and describing what a bat looks like, and how it's used in the game.

Flying in the rain is flying in IMC if the weather in less than VFR minimums.  Here is a link to them: https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/courses/content/25/185/vfr%20weather%20minimums.pdf

I made that point from the start and now repeat it in case it wasn't clear.

And flying in rain is not flying in IMC if the weather is more than VFR weather minimums.

You are automatically making the jump that rain will make the weather less than VFR weather minimums, and it does not always happen that way. In my flying career I have flown many times in the rain when the ceiling was well over 1000 feet and the visibility was more than 3 miles, all while maintaining the required cloud clearances.

There is a pattern here. Throw in an irrelevant, obvious or wrong comment. Then continue by not listening and trying to speak down to people by lecturing on things everyone on this forum (possibly sans one) already knows. The edict from on high may be totally incorrect...and he does not own a CT or even a Light Sport plane.

Archived