Called FD USA Today to order the LED round landing light.

Buckaroo

Talked to Areon today at FD about a drop in replacement LED light for my 2007 CTSW. He's ordering some and told me he'll call in a few days when there in. He said they are a simple round drop in unit at $69.95 a pop.

Since this is for an airplane I'm interested to hear all the problems, positives and negatives, disadvantages etc. about going this route. I haven't committed to one yet.

Thanks folks!

Dave

My last two CT's had the LED Landing light.  The huge benefit is the low current draw.  I don't fly at night (flying under Sport Pilot rules) so can't comment on the use at night.  I do use it when landing, or in congested airspace to help people see me a little easier. 

I installed one in my CTLS. I don't really see any downside, except maybe not quite as much illumination at night. I also installed a polarized plug in place of the banana plugs.

This is true, they are not as bright.  The upside is you can run the landing light all the time and give your airplane some actual visibility from the front over the anemic factory position lights and beacon.

I have landed on an overcast evening right at the end of civil twilight, it was "near-night" conditions, and the illumination of the runway was adequate.  Not awesome, but sufficient.

• 10 months later...
8 hours ago, Hambone said:

What's the final verdict on a drop-in LED? Is there any documentation required, and where's the best/cheapest source for the brightest light? I'd like to drop one in my 2006 CTSW.

Thanks!

Technically it does require documentation. Just order from FDUSA. Their price includes the proper docs.

Archived