LSRI Course

FlyingMonkey

I'm scheduled to take a LSRI (Light Sport Repairman - Inspection) course the weekend of April 15 in Lawrenceville, Georgia.  The cost is $400 and will allow the owner of an ELSA to perform his/her own annual condition inspections.  If anybody else in the area is interested, the course is being offered by the DAR that signed off my ELSA conversion, Michael Huffman of Sport Aviation Specialties:

http://www.sportaviationspecialties.com/

E-mail Michael through that website if you are interested.

You don't have to have an ELSA to take the course.  The course doesn't expire, so if you buy or convert to an ELSA in the future, you can get the Repairman certificate for the airplane at that time from the FSDO.

The timing works out perfectly for me, since my annual expires April 25.  I can start work on it right after the course when it's all fresh in my mind.

Does it only cover ELSA annual inspection, or would an SLSA apply as well?   You notice I'm too lazy to read the linked page.  :)

It's the inspection rating, meaning you can only do annuals on an ELSA that you personally own.  You can't do annuals other ELSAs, or on any SLSA.  Of course, you can't do any maintenance at all on a SLSA other than preventive maintenance (tires, spark plugs, oil changes, etc).  ELSAs are different, in the experimental category any person may do any maintenance *except* an annual on the aircraft.

If you want to be able to do maintenance and annuals on any SLSA or ELSA, you need the maintenance rating.  That is a 2-3 week course that usually costs about $4000 plus travel expenses.   

It's the inspection rating, meaning you can only do annuals on an ELSA that you personally own.  You can't do annuals other ELSAs, or on any SLSA.  Of course, you can't do any maintenance at all on a SLSA other than preventive maintenance (tires, spark plugs, oil changes, etc).  ELSAs are different, in the experimental category any person may do any maintenance *except* an annual on the aircraft.

If you want to be able to do maintenance and annuals on any SLSA or ELSA, you need the maintenance rating.  That is a 2-3 week course that usually costs about $4000 plus travel expenses.   

Just to be clear the LSRI does not allow you to do Annual Inspections, it allows you to do condition inspections.

Just to be clear the LSRI does not allow you to do Annual Inspections, it allows you to do condition inspections.

Right, the condition inspection.  Which must occur annually.

Certificated airplanes get an "annual inspection", LSA and experimentals get "condition inspections."  Both must be performed annually, based on manufacturer/builder guidance.  I see it as a distinction without a real difference.   

Right, the condition inspection.  Which must occur annually.

Certificated airplanes get an "annual inspection", LSA and experimentals get "condition inspections."  Both must be performed annually, based on manufacturer/builder guidance.  I see it as a distinction without a real difference.   

You may not see the difference, but the FAA does. I live and work in their world. I figure since they thought it important enough to write it in the regulations that way, the difference must be important.

It is important when you write it, but among friends it's just a slang  and formality sometimes takes a back seat. If you said annual I would know exactly that you ment annual Condition Inspection and would probably toss in the 100 hr. for good measure.  :thumbs_up-3334:

Archived