Fuel leak between firewall and cutoff

pilot1950

Have a 2008 CTLS. Gas leaks only when fuel valve is open. Only found when I did not close the valve after flying and next day found small puddle under plane. It drips out of the small hole in the fuselage just behind firewall. There is no leak in the engine compartment. I can only assume leak at connection at fuel valve. Looks like I have to pull the switch panel out to get to it. Is there much slack in the wires to pull it out very far? Thoughts, suggestions?

If it's the fitting down at the firewall, it's a b*tch to get to (ask me how I know), but you can.  You might have to pull all three instrument panels.  If it's leaking at the valve that is pretty easy.  The filter in the stock location is harder than the valve but easier than the firewall.

My first Flight Design was a 2005 FDSW. At around 600 hours it developed a small fuel leak that appeared to be coming from below the center panel and would run down the panel next to the pilot's right leg, After a couple attempts to find the source, we discovered the leak was in a fitting on the engine side of the firewall and was then running down through the protective hose surrounding the fuel line and back into the cabin and dumping out by the fuel valve.

Pull the left instrument panel as well as the switch panel. That will give to all the access that you will need. If it is the stock set up after the valve you will have the metal fuel filter, and then the fuel flow transducer. These are connected by short hoses and clamps. Any of those hose connections, or the fuel filter could leak. I don't know if the fuel flow transducer has a failure mode where it can leak.

Archived