CTEK charger behavior

John Vance

I'm using a CTEK 4.3 charger to top off the battery between flights. After the last flight about 5 days ago, I connected the charger and it displayed only an amber light at the "snowflake" position and a green power light (no error indication, no steps). Since it didn't start to progress through the steps as it normally does, I assumed that the battery was fully charged after the flight (I didn't have all of the electrical equipment running this time), and that it would begin charging when the time was right. However, before today's flight I found that it was displaying an error light and that it had not charged the battery. I couldn't find anything in the manual showing what it's supposed to do in the event of a fully charged battery when plugged in (assuming that's what I had). After today's flight it started charging normally. Has anyone experienced this behavior or know how to prevent this from happening?

Check the tightness of the battery terminals and tighten all 5 ground points. Depending on age of the plane and instrument array you may want to clean the 4 shunt wires with some scotchbrite and apply a dab of dielectric grease to each. The shunt is behind the instrument panel. 

Check the tightness of the battery terminals and tighten all 5 ground points. Depending on age of the plane and instrument array you may want to clean the 4 shunt wires with some scotchbrite and apply a dab of dielectric grease to each. The shunt is behind the instrument panel. 

Roger - a common solution to many of these electrical issues is to tighten the ground points.  Where are all these locations?  Are they documented somewhere obvious?  Thanks

Danny

Thanks, Roger. Is cleaning the shunt wires intended to fix the charging problem, or the low current indications discussed earlier?

Hi Danny,

The grounds are easy. 

1. Make sure both the neg & pos terminals on the battery are tight and neither wire can move if grabbed by hand. If they do and the screws are tight put a washer under         both sets of wires. Many times the wire electrical connector eyelet is bigger than the battery terminal. I always put a washer under the eyelets to make a solid contact         that won't loosen.              

2. Right above the battery you will see where the ground wire is under the VR, the starting solenoid and on the engine frame bolt to the right.

The last one is important. It is just up above the square tubing on the engine mount and that bolt goes through the fire wall and into the instrument panel area. remove       the passenger side panel and put a wrench on both sides of this screw and tighten it tight.

All grounds should be consider hand tight, but wrench lose until you put a wrench on each one to check it.

Here is another way to make sure all grounds are a 100% and you never have to worry about the ground system maze again. I know a lot of people that went this way.

http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/1459-resolution-to-common-ct-grounding-issues/

Hi John.  Are you attaching the ground from the CTEK to your exhaust pipe?  I have found on my CT that the exhaust is a variable ground due to it relying on the exhaust joints for the path to the battery - one wouldn't think this would be the case but is seems not to be.  When I have used the exhaust for grounding, my CTEK will act like your CTEK is doing, sometimes flashing "yellow" and sometimes back and 'forth between "green" and "yellow".  I use the cowl zeuss fastener bracket by the "+" battery charging cable for my grounding point.  The bracket is welded to the engine mount and the mount is connected to the battery "-" by a heavy grounding cable.  The CTEK is sensitive and if the ground it not stable, it will let you know by the "yellow".

Hi Dick - I took your advice and have been using the the cowl fastener bracket from the start. I checked continuity for both the exhaust and the bracket with an ohmmeter and verified that the bracket was better, as you explained. You mentioned once that you sometimes connect the CTEK and that it indicates a full charge. How does it act in that case?

Hi John.  If I have been sitting and playing with radio, ADS-B, etc., at idle I will loose full charge on battery.  When I plug in CTEK it will initially show "yellow" and then will go "green" after a short while.  Most of the time, it is "green" at gitgo when I plug in after or if I've been flying.  If you see the "yellow" condition again, try wiggling the ground clamp to make sure you've got a good connection to the cowl bracket.  CTEK  is sensitive to this. If still "yellow" I might go direct to battery posts to bypass the grounding cables running from your engine mount to the battery to see if you might have a poor ground.  I guess your CTEK might be suspect after this if you still have problems?

Archived