Silicone heat transfer compound question

azleejay

I've been searching CPS for some spark plug heat transfer paste and found this, part number 09-3745009-37450.jpgits only $16 for a one ounce tube and the only other option on CPS right now is the $166 tube. The person on the phone at CPS said it was ok to use but I thought I'd query the forum first....especially looking for Roger's input.

What do you think?

Thanks

No matter which source you pick to buy from a tube will last a long time as a single owner reoplacing plugs. The most common mistake is to apply way too much and too far down the threads. I little is more so keep the paste no more than 2/3 down from the crush ring on the threads and leave the bottom part of the threads clean. Any paste that gets on the tip will not burn off and will cause a misfire. You only need a thin layer in the threads and if you have a bare spot or two don't worry as it will spread as you screw it in.

Typically, when dealing with thread compounds, you place so that the edge of the compound is three to five threads to the tip of the plug. and you only need around half of a pea sized amount! All we're trying to do is keep the threads from corroding and locking up and this stuff is practically a grease.

You'll know when you are putting on enough that when you remove it, there's a tiny coat across all the threads. If you are squishing out a bead around the crush washer, too much!

Archived