Flying right seat

ls6pilot

My new to me ctsw should be here next week. Will have transition training at that time.

I am fairly low time with about 100 hours in SEL and 250 hours in gliders. Most recent flying has been gliders. Really got used to flying stick in right hand and spoiler in left. 

I may want to fly right seat. Anybody have thoughts about that?

Rich Chesser

N969CT

2005 CTSW

Hi Rich,

Some do fly the CT from the right seat. No issues. many like you feel more comfortable on the right, but many also find that a little time in the left and all of a sudden it isn't a big deal any more. It's all what you take time to gets used to. I can fly from either seat and I would bet you will too at one point.

No matter what you pick just have fun.

I know of several who fly right seat, myself included. I am an instructor, and I had been doing quite a bit of instruction in a Piper J3 Cub prior to buying my first CT. When I first demoed a CT in 2007 I jumped into the left seat, and if felt as foreign as any aircraft I have ever been in. Before we took off, we stopped and I switched seats with the demo pilot. I now have most of my around a 1,000 hours of CT time in the right seat, and just a few in the left seat. A good part of that 1,000 hours has been giving instruction.

I have often thought about flying right seat just as a change, but with all my flight instruments on the left it seems it would be more of a PITA than anything.

I have flown both single D100 and analog flight instruments on the left from the right seat. It is not as much PITA as you might think. The only issue I ever had was glare on the D100 under certain conditions, but I could always pick up airspeed from the small analog gauge.

I have flown both single D100 and analog flight instruments on the left from the right seat. It is not as much PITA as you might think. The only issue I ever had was glare on the D100 under certain conditions, but I could always pick up airspeed from the small analog gauge.

Thanks, maybe I will give it a try.  Working the throttle, radio, and GPS with my left hand will be...different.

Thanks, maybe I will give it a try.  Working the throttle, radio, and GPS with my left hand will be...different.

You can still do most of the radio and GPS with the right hand, if you do it at lesser busy times. If you can find someone who is comfortable in the left seat of a CT to ride with you the first couple times. That different site picture can sometimes be a big problem.

When I got my CTSW in 2007 I had flown many combinations of stick and yoke - except never had a stick in my left hand. So, I wondered if this might be a problem.

Before the end of my first flight, the issue was gone. Was all in my head.

I fly left side but occasionally fly using my right hand. No landings, just flying.  Although I'm right handed, I feel very uncoordinated flying with my right.  It is amazing how one adapts at things.  I can't do squat with my left for anything.  Writing, throwing a ball, etc., but I have managed to train my brain to provide left hand/arm control that it is superior to my right for flying.  I guess very similar to stroke victims retraining their limbs to function.  I often think I should get on the right side and start training my right hand and arm to fly and, god forbid, land, but it's too easy just too keep flying from the left side.  Still, something in me says, "learn to land with my right".  Someday, maybe.

Archived