Flight Design KLA-100

bmar

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard rumors about a new aircraft over the last couple of months... but now the question:  is it FD Germany, FD USA (tom), or AeroJones Americas???  It looks like the plane is being shown at Aero, now on in Germany.

Their partner, Vessel Co. LTD:  from Bloomberg:

"Vessel Co., Ltd. operates in the FPD industry in South Korea and internationally. It offers LCD and OLED in-line systems, Edge Grinders, LCD and OLED oven systems, and OGS gridiners; and develops double-seater light aircraft. The company was founded in 2004 and is based in Suwon, South Korea."

Their partner, Vessel Co. LTD:  from Bloomberg:

"Vessel Co., Ltd. operates in the FPD industry in South Korea and internationally. It offers LCD and OLED in-line systems, Edge Grinders, LCD and OLED oven systems, and OGS gridiners; and develops double-seater light aircraft. The company was founded in 2004 and is based in Suwon, South Korea."

Ovens and airplanes, practically the same thing!  :D

106511_57159_3318.JPG

Translated from a Korean business publication: (excuse the google translation... somehow vessel became bessel"

▶ Development of a two-passenger aircraft in 2017

Open the sky of the world! Mr. Bessel participated in the development of the KLA-100, a domestic two-passenger aircraft, sponsored by the Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs, and is making a dream that a light aircraft made with our technology will fly freely into the world sky from 2017. to be. Regular airplanes are leisure aircraft, which have already become popular in advanced countries. In the case of Korea, demand is steadily increasing as national income enters the advanced countries. In fact, the number of light aircraft, which was only 10 in Korea in 2005, is rapidly increasing to more than 210 units in the 48s in 2010 and 2015 in 2015. However, since all of these light aircrafts are imported from abroad, the consumption of national foreign currencies is so large that localization of the aircraft has been urgently needed.

106511_57161_3319.jpg ▲ Cheongbuk Head Office

Also, since importing the product from abroad, part procurement is not smooth, and it is also a problem in the maintenance of light aircraft. At this point, the domestic leisure and light aircraft development project is actively pursued by the government as a new growth engine business along with securing source technology for the advancement into the world light aircraft market, and the added value is also considered to be considerably high. The light aircraft business is the first in Korea to produce and mass-produce two-passenger aircraft that have been formally certified by the state, and aim to sell both in Korea and overseas markets.

Bessel Co., Ltd. has concluded a technical cooperation agreement with Germany's Flight Design Co., Ltd., which has the largest market share in the two-passenger aircraft sector, and is currently in the process of manufacturing parts. After obtaining formal certification and production certification in September 2017, To mass-produce and market it. In particular, the KLA-100 aircraft uses composites to lighten the aircraft, improve the safety of the pilots by mounting a gas parachute, and maximize the convenience of pilots and instruments. It is a somewhat unfamiliar light aircraft field in Korea, but the ripple effect is expected to be enormous. First, it is expected that the effect of substitution of domestic imported aircraft will be very great. Also, it will contribute to the development of the domestic aircraft industry with the opportunity of achieving technological progress in related producers, and it is expected that job creation effect can be expected.

106511_57160_3319.jpg ▲ Bird's eye view of Suwon new home

In the first place, Mr. Bessel Seogi Co., Ltd., who has stated that it is a mid- and long-term goal to make an industrial foundation, "We plan to establish a subsidiary company for light aircraft to secure land for constructing assembly plants and other facilities including runways. Through this, we will systemize the acquisition of pilot personal licenses, tourism and leisure activities, which are partly implemented by domestic small companies. And will continue to make efforts to develop the domestic aviation industry. " In addition, Flight Design, a partner company, says, "The KLA-100 aircraft is expected to be sold to more than 50 units annually in the Americas and Europe from the beginning of production." Vessel is aiming to sell more than 100 cars a year after 2025 after stabilizing the airline business since 2017. The light aircraft business, which can be used in various fields such as flight training, environmental monitoring, forest fire monitoring, aerial photographing and air transportation for leisure sports as well as pilot training, Based on this, Bessel Co., Ltd. has expressed its dream of developing four-seater and 11-seater aircraft in the future.

In addition, the company plans to expand its market with MRO and UAV (Drones) business. As a result, Dae-Seung Aircraft operation will provide air service through membership system and build up domestic transportation network connecting Jeonju, Busan and Namhae "I will use it as the third means of transportation."Although it is lagging far behind advanced countries, this challenge of Bessel Co., Ltd. is brightening the future of the Korean aviation industry in the 21st century, so expectation is amplifying.

Finally someone made a decent low wing cockpit. Fits tall people and wide like our other CT's. Great panel. It does look really familiar. :)

Depending on the price it should do well. I hope it isn't too pricey. The flap design I believe to prevent spins.

I also hope they include as standard equipment a canopy shade that can be pulled back and forth. Low wing canopy planes are just hotter than cover high wings when the suns out.

Ed there are some aircraft in Europe that can hit the 200 mph mark with the Rotax.

Looks like they used a lot from the CT.

And that's good. Nothing wrong with that. Keep using what works well.

Since it is low wing, good bet there are boost pumps for fuel feed . . . and a selector valve to correct imbalance.

Roger . . . wasn't it you that recently said, "never buy the first version of anything?" :D

I can't help but chuckle when I look at the interior photo, look at the BRS handle, and see that it's (wisely) locked with a padlock.  Y'know... to keep visitors from pulling on it.  But the KEY is still in the padlock!   :P

Looks like there's some good design cues from the CT line, including the storage under the legs.  Not sure I can see that well, but it almost looks like the pilot's headphone jack are on the panel.  (or maybe it's for something else?  Those two female jacks to the left of the EFIS?)

It would be great to get more information (specs) and pricing.  But to CharlieTango's point, a video of the aircraft in flight would be great.

Premature... they are just getting to the flight tests.  

I guess their high cruise speed number isn't tested then. It just doesn't look that fast to my eye.

Korean Light Aircraft will take me some getting used to.  The German / Ukrainian heritage was just a bit closer to home I guess.  

Archived