GTX 330 retrofit/upgrade to be ADSB-out?

SantaPaulaCTSW

Has anyone come across whether or not my GTX330 can be retrofitted or upgraded by Garmin to comply with ADSB-Out? Or any other company that provides an upgrade or retrofit to the

GTX330. I already have XM weather and traffic on my Garmin 496, so undecided if I need to bother with ADSB-In.

Thoughts?

Garmin will upgrade the 330 to "ES" (extended squatter) if you don't already have that. The last time I checked, that was $1200. You still need WAAS, though, which requires a new antenna and another box. Garmin sells the GPS-20A box for $800 or so, and the antenna will run a few hundred more. So for $2300 or so plus installation you could go that route. There are other options out there. Considering what Sirius charges for weather, I would go for ADS-B "in" unless you really need the advantages that XM offers. Whatever route you go there will pay for itself in 2 years or less. As for traffic, you don't really have it unless you have ADS-B "out". For whatever system you choose, make sure it can talk to whatever display device you prefer. I have found that the Garmins don't necessarily talk to the other Garmins.

Archived