High oil pressure warning during flight

Stacy

After flying for 45 minutes, I added full power to climb higher. The high oil pressure warning light came on. I reduced RPM's and the light went off. The pressure on the Dynon peaked at around 100 lbs. I flew for maybe two hours, at 5200 RPM's, and the pressure was fine. But, before reaching home, I had to continue to reduce power to keep the oil pressure down. The last thirty minutes of the flight, I had to keep the RPM's down to 4,600.

I didn't check the log, but I think I have less than 25 hours on the oil and filter change. During that time, I had one flight that required me to put in 10 gallons of 100LL. On the flight where the problem started, I had added 21 gallons of 100 LL.

I'm going to change the oil and filter when I get time, as well as cut the filter open. During my previous oil and filter change, I had flown 43 hours, without out the need to add oil, and filter looked good. I had probably used about 30 gallons of 100 LL, but like the week ends flight, it was mixed with 91 octane.

What are your thoughts on what is going on?

On this theme of indications, I have had recently very high oil temperature indication on my Dynon Skyview 160 deg C, it triggers the master engine warning light. Using a laser temperature sensor the oil tank was only 80 deg C. Also have had the MAP INHG indicate a red cross and the #2 EGT  indicate a red cross at low RPM setting. Is there a common grounding wire to these connections?

Check the 5 ground points off the battery in the engine compartment. Then make sure the one ground bolt through the fire wall into the right side instrument panel is really tight. Any loss of ground or usually just a weak connection can cause this.

Update:... after a pleasant discussion with Roger, all his suggestions followed and I found that things were secure and tight. On a further inspection I noticed the back of the new LED light housing very close to the oil temp sensor. With the liberal movement of the cowling it must have been hitting the sensor clip. I have added an insulator around the temp connector and it is giving proper oil temp readings. The #2 EGT probe was cleaned and re-seated in the exhaust pipe but it is still red crossed out. Have made enquiries with Rotech Research in Vernon, no update yet...thanks to all or suggestions

Experienced high oil pressure today. Actually it was pegged at the max on my steam gage and that is where it stayed for entire flight.

Checked ground connections, no joy.

Replaced oil pressure sensor using Loctite 243 and prop[er torque. Problem solved.

Mine is not a remote mount. This is replacement #2 in 500 hours. They are cheap enough and takes me about 30 minutes to replace by the time I get the manual out and grab a couple of tools. That means Roger can do it in 15 minutes. :D Or less!

To add to the EGT issue, I have been working on the wrong side of the engine. I thought #2 EGT would have been for the left or even numbered exhaust 2&4 and #1 for the 1&3 exhaust but by chance I disconnected the new probe clips on the left side of the engine and it showed #1 as red crossed arrow on the indicator... i will install another new probe on right side and I anticipate all will be okay.

One easy way to check to see if a single probe has gone bad or if the problem is up or downstream in wiring is just unplug one and plug it into the other. It will tell you right away where to look or answer your question as to whether the probe is bad.

Hello Roger.... hope the vacation was fun... all good here, new EGT probe working and waiting for another to come. Replaced the rectifier-regulator today, nasty job but all good after the change over. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 30/04/2017 at 0:11 AM, sandpiper said:

Experienced high oil pressure today. Actually it was pegged at the max on my steam gage and that is where it stayed for entire flight.

Checked ground connections, no joy.

Replaced oil pressure sensor using Loctite 243 and prop[er torque. Problem solved.

Mine is not a remote mount. This is replacement #2 in 500 hours. They are cheap enough and takes me about 30 minutes to replace by the time I get the manual out and grab a couple of tools. That means Roger can do it in 15 minutes. :D Or less!

What brand did you use for your oil sensor replacement

Archived