Forum upgrade coming

Admin

Wow, time flies. It’s been almost 7 years since CTFlier was born! It’s the community that has grown around CTFlier that has made the forum such a success. Thank you, ALL OF YOU, for making the forum a useful place to exchange information about our aircraft.

Over the years, we’ve been very lucky, with almost no downtime and no lost data. Part of the reason is that we’ve be very conservative with upgrades or add-ins. Our Mantra has been “If it aint fixed, don’t broke it”. To that end, we’ve only applied patches meant to fix security issues or fight spammers.

We are currently on version 3.x of the forum software, with version 4 having been introduced a few years ago. We’ve successfully avoided the upgrade until now… unfortunately, v3 will no longer be supported, and we’ll be migrated to v4 soon. The good news is v4 is quite mature by now, and relatively bug-free.

With the upgrade will be the inevitable changes. Things will look a bit different, and there will be new features. We hope you’ll accept the changes, and work with us to share information about the new features. We’ll work hard to make sure no data is lost, and that the forum will look like what we are used to (as much as possible).

Stay tuned for more information, it should be in the next week or so...

Having migrated to CTFLIER from COPA when I switched ownership, I was amazed at what this FORUM provided and AT NO COST. (Synonymous with FREE!)

I have no idea what out of pocket expenses you incur providing this product, but I for one would like to contribute something. I'm sure their are others who feel as I do.

Can you give us some idea of the total out of pocket you incur and a way we can make a contribution?

We are considering an option to become a "supporter" like at POA, as costs have tripled over the years, but it's still not THAT much.  The new software has an option to accept donations, so we'll revisit the topic sometime after the upgrade.  Thanks.

One important change:  We can no longer have "user names" (login name) that are different from "display names".  Not many people did this, but it may be a problem for a few.  For instance, you login as "mosquito123" but your name is displayed as "MosquitoBoy".  I'm glad this will no longer be allowed as it was the single biggest problem for new users.  They would create two different identities for the same account, and then promptly forget one or the other.  It usually required analysis and fixing by the Admins.  It may have even been a barrier big enough to keep some people from properly registering.

For those of you who have a different "user name" (login) and "display name"... please remember your user name.  It's the one you use to login to the forum.  After the upgrade, you may have difficulty logging into the forum, and it will likely be caused by using the wrong name. You can check your settings by clicking on your name at the top-right (when logged-in) and then "my settings".

See post #12 below.

If you can't get in after the upgrade, email Tim or Roger for help.  (tim@azctflyer.com  - roger@lsamechanic.com)

Good question.  I'm hoping once the upgrade is in place, that we can change user names.  Also, there is an option to login using email address, but not sure is that can be setup on a person-by-person basis.   Oh, the joys of change!

OK.... I changed my mind.  After the change, login using your DISPLAY NAME, since that is what we usually recognize you by.

Those of you who used login name that is different than your display name, you will have to re-login using your display name.  Passwords will not change!  Sorry!

OK.... I changed my mind. After the change, login using your DISPLAY NAME, since that is what we usually recognize you by.

Those of you who used login name that is different than your display name, you will have to re-login using your display name. Passwords will not change! Sorry!

--

Will the new login take spaces and punctuation?

Good question, I've passed it on the the people preparing our upgrade.  There's no doubt some folks will end up needing help.  We'll have appropriate notifications on the top for a while, with directions and contact/help info.  It should be happening soon.

OK... The upgrade is complete!  It looks like everything made the trip, but look around and tell us if anything is missing.  

YES, the login accepts spaces and punctuation!

We'll clean things up and play with a few new features.

• 2 weeks later...

So far, so Good!  I personally like the new system, especially the "Activity, all Activity" view.  In fact, I've saved an icon that takes me to that spot as my normal way to get into the forum.

I've turned on a new feature.... the "Like or Dislike" reaction,  similar to Facebook and Youtube.  It'll help us track content.  Be kind and let's keep things civil.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 12:46 PM, Runtoeat said:

Can't imagine how little I would know about my CT if I hadn't become a member.

Wouldn't have put it better than Runtoeat, although I am still way less knowledgeable about my CT than many friends on the forum. Thanks for the valuable forum and for the hard work

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Forum was down, but was fixed as soon as we found out.  A cache was corrupt and just needed cleaning.  While we were down, we also upgraded to the latest version of the forum software.  You really shouldn't see any difference, but let me know if there are any problems.

• 1 year later...

We don't really have a "website" issues forum, so I'll put it here.

The website forum software needs its SSL certificate updated. It's causing CORS failures with the fontawesome pack, which leads to site icons not working properly. You can get a valid SSL certificate from letsencrypt.org for free.

• 3 months later...